Author Topic: Elk Horn Bow? Anyone tried it?  (Read 3516 times)

Offline rileyconcrete

Elk Horn Bow? Anyone tried it?
« on: November 09, 2010, 06:01:15 pm »
My brother shot a nice bull that is maybe gonna be a project to try the elkhorn bow idea. Just wondered if anyone has tried this and has any pointers.

Thanks Tell
Tell Riley

Offline n2huntn

• jeff_smith13@hotmail.com ROLL TIDE !
Re: Elk Horn Bow? Anyone tried it?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 06:23:38 pm »
Saw a 3 piece take down made with elk antler as the riser. That was pretty cool.
Jeff
Genesis 27: 3

Offline 4est Trekker

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 08:17:08 pm »
The antler riser for the bow referenced by n2huntn was made by James Parker.  He goes by "robustus" here on PA.
"Walk softly, and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 08:19:04 pm »
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Keenan

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 08:44:06 pm »
Tell. I have played around with a fair amount of elk antler and had the same thoughts however, don't think you could do as well as Buffalo horn, it is more brittle then horn because it is antler not horn. From some of the testing I've done with sheds it is harder to form then horn.  There are some documents of antler bows having been built from a strip of the main beams and then sinewed, but I doubt they performed very well. Hate to see ya ruin a nice set trying.
  I made a two piece take down with a center section as the handle. One end glued in and the other limb removeable similar to the brass sleeves but it eventually cracked under stress
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 01:20:57 am by Keenan »

Offline rileyconcrete

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 09:01:52 pm »
Thanks guys I was thinking of doing something as keenan said.  Using the antler as the limbs.  There are some in Allely's book Encyclopedia of Native American Bows, Arrows and Quivers.  Thought it must work if some of the indians used them as sinew backed bows.  I also recall reading an acount of Reginald Laubin making a replica bow.  May just try it, my brother has shot alot of nice bulls and this one is just a regular old bull.  He also wants a bow and if it doesnt turn out that well may just be a wall hanger and he would love that.

Tell
Tell Riley

Offline wolfsire

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2010, 01:10:11 am »
You can find plenty of examples of eskimo sinew cable backed cariboo antler bows.  There is even a video somewhere of one being made and photos from it.  I dont know if elk is different.  I recall reading that they only last a year and they must be from fresh kills.  I bet the sinew gets recycled.  There has to be some tricks to splitting it right.  But a kitchen knife and awl are about what was used.  I'd do it just for the fun, shoot it out and hang it up.  Maybe use gut, as was sometime used, instead braiding up the sinew.
Steve in LV, NV