Author Topic: Where are all the arrows at!!!  (Read 6460 times)

Offline Lee Lobbestael

Where are all the arrows at!!!
« on: November 12, 2010, 10:52:31 pm »
Come on guys where are all the new sets of arrows?? I love lookin at your guys' arrows and I check every day to see if there are any new ones! You guys are slackin c'mon chop chop!! >:D

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Where are all the arrows at!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 11:20:37 pm »
 `I have over 300, I don't need to make too many more. ;D

Why aren't we looking at your's?
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 11:38:57 pm »
No doubt
i make new ones when I need them.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline NTD

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 12:02:30 am »
I've been thinking about spending more time making arrows, been staring at the strunk planer thinking if it's worth the money...3 rivers doesn't have payment option marked "Snakeskins" :(
Nate Danforth

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, 12:16:20 am »
Nate, an $8 thumb plane from Tru-Valu Hardware and a 1x4 with a "V" groove down the center will make an excellent arrow making set from either sawn stock or hardwood shoots. Lot cheaper and more rewarding!  8)
  I generally make arrows in the winter and spring for next years archery and hunting season. If I haven't lost last years arrows by then they usually get sent to friends as medicine arrows to carry in their hunting quiver or decorative arrows to hang on the wall.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 12:19:39 am by Pat B »
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2010, 12:18:49 am »
Pat- how deep and wide should the "V" be?  I have some red osier shafts I've never done anything with because I'm not sure how to thin them out consistently.
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2010, 12:25:56 am »
Jeff, this is my set up. I think the "V" groove is about 1/4" to 3/8" deep. You will also have an arrow stop at the far end that doesn't protrude above the finished shaft and made of something that won't nick your plane iron if it does hit it. I used a small dowel for the stop.

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2010, 12:28:02 am »
Here are a few arrows for you Lee...

hunting arrows for 2008

Hunting arrows for 2009(since I didn't hunt at all last year, these were held over for the 2010 season)

« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 12:35:08 am by Pat B »

Offline NTD

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2010, 12:41:06 am »
Pat, I'm inept! :-[  When I have tried that method I can never get a decent facet I always wander all over the place, thus why I was pondering the planing board... :)  Might just stick to tonkin...
Nate Danforth

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2010, 12:48:18 am »
Nate, try using a soft wood like white pine or poplar and see if you can get the technique down. I've bought both at Home Depot and Lowe's near where the red oak in. Precut "craft" lumber.  On hardwood shoot shafts I hold the shoot in one hand and the plane in the other and sorta "free hand" the operation.
  One of those pencil sharpener type dowel makers works well too. You get them mail order for $20 to $30.

Offline NTD

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2010, 12:50:05 am »
eh You might be on to something, I was using ash...I'll give it another go with some pine.  Thanks Pat!
Nate Danforth

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2010, 12:55:00 am »
Once you get the hang of the pine you can transfer over to ash or other woods. Setting the iron corectly so it only takes a little off with each stroke helps too.  I believe George Tsoukalas has a section on his site for arrow making. I think he uses white pine too.

Offline Lee Lobbestael

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2010, 04:56:25 pm »
Pat those arrows look awesome! I love the one with the plume wrap thing on the back, I bet that will be easy to mark stickin out of the side of a deer!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2010, 05:58:07 pm »
I make those tracers from "rabbit zonkers" that I buy from a fly tying shop and glue them on with TBIII, Duco or fletch tape. They really help you see an all natural arrow in flight and especially when the arrow hits it's target.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2010, 08:21:31 pm »
 Nate, I've got a Barrel tapering jig-planing board I'm getting ready to put up for a trade. It's made for a thumb planer. Interested?
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?