Author Topic: Can't believe it happened to me.  (Read 11253 times)

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: Can't believe it happened to me.
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2010, 01:24:24 pm »
I had about fifteen guns and my wife's jewelry stolen from my house about ten years ago. Especially makes you mad when they rob you while you're at work.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2010, 01:32:22 pm »
I had about fifteen guns and my wife's jewelry stolen from my house about ten years ago. Especially makes you mad when they rob you while you're at work.

Did you ever get any crimes tied back to you from the stolen guns...that's what I'd be afraid if!
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2010, 02:06:08 pm »
This reminds me that I should get the model and serial numbers of all my guns updated, copied, and saved somewhere outside of my home (fires sometimes steal from us too). 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2010, 03:12:20 pm »
 I need to do the same, and take photos or a video of them.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline NTD

« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2010, 04:11:57 pm »
It seems Photos are a must if they aren't registered.  Tucson police Department has a 1911 of mine because it wasn't registered.  Now mind you, AZ does not require registration.  2 years ago after moving to Arizona money got really tight, I was sending partial payments on my truck.  They didn't like that it was partial payments and counted those months as non-payment.  They repossed my truck and with it my 1911.  The Repo guys turned it over to TPD and gave me a claim number.  TPD said that they required proof of ownership.  I said first of all it was sitting in a truck registered in my name.  I supplied the serial number, and described every wear mark and aftermarket part on the darn thing, even got service records from my Gunsmith in New Mexico, it wasn't enough, they said because it was registered at some point to another person I needed to prove it was mine.  They said pictures of it would be good.  Damn this still makes me mad! >:( >:(  My wife, a TPD employee, said it's likely to be melted down soon...
Nate Danforth

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2010, 04:36:21 pm »
 That would give me a long, meltdown. >:D :'(
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Hardawaypoints

« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2010, 11:35:06 pm »
When I was in school in Colorado ('79-'81) my house was broken into when I was out of town.  My guns, TV, stereo, and pretty much anything valuable was stolen.  I gave the police the serial numbers of the stolen guns when they came to investigate.  Three weeks later my Colt revolver was used in a robbery and the Law came looking to me for the whereabouts of my gun(?!?)...When I told them that I'd reported it stolen less than a month ago and showed them a copy of their own report, you should have seen the look on their faces. Sheesh.

A friend of mine had an absolutely beautiful woman as a neighbor who lived in the apartment across the hall from him.  She wasn't much interested in us, but she was very nice and a fun person to talk to & hang out with.  One night, my friend heard her cry out for help and a struggle going on in her apartment. He loaded up his grandad's single-shot Iver Johnson 16 gauge, stuffed a few extra shells in his pocket, and kicked the door in to find a serial rapist working over the partially-clad neighbor lady. The rapist started turning toward my friend and he dropped the hammer on the guy, who went down in a heap.  He had loaded the gun with light field loads and the rapist ended up paralyzed from the chest down & in prison for life.  That was the last woman he ever tried to rape.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Offline Little John

« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2010, 08:36:52 am »
Three german shepperds here, most thieves would consider another place to snoop around.      Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline cracker

« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2010, 09:43:09 am »
I do the dog thing too mastif in the yard bulldogs in the house.Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2010, 04:27:53 pm »
He had loaded the gun with light field loads and the rapist ended up paralyzed from the chest down & in prison for life.  That was the last woman he ever tried to rape.

However it may not be the last time he was involved in a rape.   >:D 

Goes to show why my favorite handgun is a shotgun. 

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2010, 04:43:27 pm »
JW thats bad, lol. Thats always the poetic justice of prison when it comes to rapists.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline dwardo

« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2010, 08:27:51 am »
Should be over here in the UK, i believe we are obliged by law to help the thief carry out our belongings, just incase he throws his back out whlst carrying my tv away and sues me...

DCM4

« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2010, 11:18:07 am »
We have always lived out from town.  20 acres at that time, basically such that you could take a chainsaw and cut yourself a door in our old home place and nobody would wonder... as long as you got down the drive without being seen.  Got burglarized while at work and they stole guns and stuff.  This was bout 2 weeks after a giant Halloween party my brother threw.  I mean freakin' part-tay where 100 people showed up, friends of friends of friends kinda thing.  Be mindful of who gets into your house, invited.  Some of them will want to come back...

I learned my lesson.

We had a convenience store, Mom and Dad's second "career," although I was the one doing the 80 hr weeks.  Had my old .410 single barrel Stevens (my first gun when I was 7) behind the counter, more or less as a snake gun.  Somebody tore the door off the place (again out in the country) one night and took beer, cigs, coins from the pool tables and poker machine, and my ole .410.  Sheriff took my report.  About 6 weeks later got a call from the Sheriff.  Picked some ahole up dwi and found my lil slip of paper hidden under the butt plate of the .410 w/ my name etc., serial numbers matched just like I'd told him.  Was able to charge him with the break-in as well.  That was a long time ago, still have that lil ole .410.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2010, 05:24:33 pm »
Should be over here in the UK, i believe we are obliged by law to help the thief carry out our belongings, just incase he throws his back out whlst carrying my tv away and sues me...

And sadly, it was YOUR law where the U.S. was inspired to adopt it's Castle Doctrine, i.e. a man's home is his castle.  It was British Common Law that held that a person has the right to lawfully defend themselves and their possessions, we just copied it.  I've read about instances where British citizens have fought back against an intruder bent on violence only to be the one charged, tried, and imprisoned while the violent offender sues for damages and wins.  Back in the 1970's MAD Magazine had a strip where everyone boarding a plane was handed a weapon of their choice.  The look of discouragement on the would-be hijacker's face was only eclipsed by the look of eagerness on the little old lady with the sawed off shotgun!  An armed society is a polite society.