Author Topic: Arrow length to spine?  (Read 2725 times)

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
Arrow length to spine?
« on: November 21, 2010, 08:19:49 pm »
How many of you, shoot different length arrows because of spine?  What I am asking is if you have say some POC shafts that are shooting great for you at a certain length and spine, how many of you would take a different arrow material that is not spined the same and make it shorter or longer to make the shoot the way you want them.  Just courious I guess?

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Arrow length to spine?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 10:55:55 pm »
Not usually but I have done it once in awhile particularly with shoot shafts. I'm more likely to change points. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 11:05:23 pm »
I cut all my cane shafts the same length I had been straightening  them and then fletch and shoot them. The ones that didn't fly good I just sat off in the corner. Now I have a spine tester and spine them. The ones that spine to the poundage I fletch and shoot, but they are all still the same length. The ones that don't spine for me, I set them in groups of what they spine at. Don't know what I'll do with them :-\  Sorry for the long story :D
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 01:16:17 am »
Charlie I cut all my shafting, cane or hardwood shoots, to 29" or 30" for my 26" draw. I try to pick out similar shafts for my set but I don't weigh or spine any(except to find the stiff side) of my shafts until I finish the arrow. Generally they come in within 50grs and at 20 yards it doesn't really matter that much to me. I can still put one in the engine room from the ground or elevated stand...if I could ever get a chance!  ::)
   The natural taper of cane and hardwood shoots is very forgiving and the extra weight forward of these shafts pulls the arrow to where you are looking.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline artcher1

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 09:39:43 am »
Very common practice for me Charles......ART

Offline stringstretcher

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 10:03:00 am »
Thanks everyone for the imput.  I was pretty sure that you did Art, but was just wondering who else did this.  I have for some time, using different combinations, but I do find that my shooting is not as consistent as I can be when doing so.  I have always shot, buy force of habit, somewhat using the point as a reference, not as a gap shooter, but as to be in line vertically.  If I could ever get to the point that I never see the point, like you Art, it would be great and very usefull when using different woods and lengths. 

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 12:37:34 pm »
     I call 75 % of my bucks.One trick is like calling gobblers it's easer if you calling from where they want to go.With that said at this time 16th to DEC.you can get more agressive.Here's something else you can go solf to agreesive.But not agreeive back to solf.I start off like this couple of doe in heat calls after 10, 15 mins I'll do string of buck grunts pig like 10 to 15 in a row.Sound like he's making one every step.Agian after 15 mins I'll grunt loud 2 or 3 times after a few mins I'll justdo a quick loud rattle and take them apart with snap.Like a buck leaveing quick.
   Some times uselly on my second calling atemp after 1/2 hour or so at the end when I rattle I'll rattle long and hard. maybo a buck hereing this will try to sneek in and take the doe away.Also when grunting I aways use young buck grunts seams to work best for me.
   I've seen 24 bucks this NOV.17of these have been called.The others were headed my way before I had called.Like I said it helps to be where they want to go.Also if I can I'll set up with my back to a open area wre bucks don't or won't circle down wind.To fine out what buck I am.There not trying to see if your a hunter just what bucks or buck your are.
   And if you see a buck call to him and he flicks his tail he's comeing.And if he thinks somethings wrong you'll never call him back.The thicker the cover the better they'll come you can for get about calling them into a open field.Do these things are you'll dobble or maybe ever better your buck siteings.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline stringstretcher

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 07:47:34 pm »
Crooketarrow?  You been inhaleing on that call to much...... ;D ;D ;D ??? ??? ???

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2010, 08:54:40 pm »
Crooketarrow?  You been inhaleing on that call to much...... ;D ;D ;D ??? ??? ???

Must be the lack of O2 that high up a tree ;D
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline Michael C.

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2010, 04:40:53 pm »
Hah I got all the way down the replies and saw crooketarrow's and had to go back up one to make sure I was still on the same page :)

I like mine to be @ 30-31" and try to keep them there if I can, but sometimes add or subtract an inch or two.
"Friendship makes prosperity more shining and lessens adversity by dividing and sharing it."

Cicero

Offline scattershot

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2010, 05:19:18 pm »
Yep, I do it all the time. Added benefit is, that the longer shafts give me more weight.
"Experience is just a series of non-fatal mistakes"