Author Topic: Bow #3 Teaser - Now finished - with pics  (Read 8474 times)

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
Bow #3 Teaser - Now finished - with pics
« on: November 23, 2010, 01:09:04 am »
Here's a peak at my third bow, pretty much done tillering.  It's very similar to my first two, being a 68" maple self bow (rawhide backed), but it's quite a bit lighter in draw weight.  I'm making it for my dad, who's not the superman he used to be anymore, so it draws 40 lbs at 28 inches.  Will lose a pound or two after finish sanding, and his draw probably wont be a full 28, so he'll be pulling around 35 I'm guessing.

More pics to come once it's finished.  By the way, the red arc on the picture is just superimposed to check the tillering.  I've been finding this technique to be very helpful for a greenhorn such as myself.  Every 2 or 3 scraping sessions I'll take a picture, run in the house, and photoshop an ellipse on to make sure my limbs are still bending evenly and in a nice arc. I've also found that for some reason, looking at a picture of the bows drawn on the tiller tree is for some reason a lot easier for me to "read" than just looking at it with my eyes, I'm not sure why.  ??? I can look at it on the tree and wonder what to do next, and then look at a picture of the same thing and say to myself, "Oh, that's where it's got to come off".  Crazy...
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 03:50:11 pm by Cameroo »

Offline aznboi3644

Re: Bow #3 Teaser
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 04:41:34 am »
your camera needs to be dead on with the bow...your tiller in the picture could be skewed by the low angle of the picture

Offline Kitsu

• Räven bakom masken
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 08:17:07 am »
I've also found that for some reason, looking at a picture of the bows drawn on the tiller tree is for some reason a lot easier for me to "read" than just looking at it with my eyes, I'm not sure why.  ??? I can look at it on the tree and wonder what to do next, and then look at a picture of the same thing and say to myself, "Oh, that's where it's got to come off". 

heh, i know exactly how that is, except i do not get access to the camera (and now not for a good while, it got dropped, lens error, jammed, wont pop back in, etc

i can see errors in a picture that i normally miss up close to it
"If you open your mind for me
You won't rely on open eyes to see
The walls you build within come tumbling down
And a new world will begin" ----- Queensryche, "Silent Lucidity

R.H , Southeastern PA/Western PA.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 09:17:27 am »
Looking good,can't wait to see ge finished up.Your dad should love that. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 09:46:57 am »
your camera needs to be dead on with the bow...your tiller in the picture could be skewed by the low angle of the picture

I try to be dead on, but I personally don't think it's that critical, because if you're off to the side a bit, or a little low with the camera, both limbs will be skewed equally.  All I'm looking for in the photo is symmetry.  If the bow was asymmetrical, that would be more of an issue.

Thanks Pappy, I'm anxious to get it done.

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010, 11:02:08 am »
Lookin' real good so far.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2010, 12:41:53 pm »
Yeah, we all get that trouble. I work in a single garage (that's a UK single garage which is pretty narrow and I can't get very far from the bow to have a good look at it).
I find the great advantage of taking pics, is it gets me away from the bow for long enough to stop me screwing it up!
(IMO, I'd watch that area on the right limb just out from the fade, maybe let the last half to 3/4 of the limbs work a tad more?).
I'll try anything like looking along the limbs as I flex it on the tiller, pulling it in front of a big window or mirror from a long way back. It can be a real pig as your trying to see the problem areas before they appear, cos' once they are obvious it may be too late. I've even been known to ask Mrs Cat! :o
(Hope you don't mind the gratuitous rambling!)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2010, 02:06:40 pm »
Looks pretty good. I'd leave the handle area alone now. Just a bit too much bending at the handle area at least for me. That's my personal preference. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2010, 07:13:41 pm »
Ramble on Del.  I certainly don't mind.  I don't really want to take any more off the right limb, because I don't want to give up any more weight.  I can see what you're saying though.

George, thanks for the advice.  It definitely turned out more circular than I originally wanted, but one of the limbs was a bit hingy to begin with, so I thought the best thing to do would be to make the other one similar.  I don't think I'll be doing anything more with the tiller, I'll probably just lighten up the tips and that will be it.

Offline adb

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2010, 09:32:48 pm »
Holy cow, Cam! That's lookin' really good. You're sure getting the hang of this quick. Good job! I'm guessing you're going to want to come over and pick up some more of your wood, and that rawhide. Give me a shout. I'm off Friday. Sorry I didn't get back to you the other day... we didn't get back from hunting until much later than I thought, and I spent a half hour in the tub trying to thaw out! My buddy shot a doe, and taking care of it chewed up most of the day.

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2010, 03:22:27 am »
Fantastic!
Frank from Germany...

Offline NTD

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2010, 03:52:47 am »
Looks good Cam, looking forward to the finished product.
Nate Danforth

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2010, 09:39:29 am »
Thanks guys.  I want to git er dun, but haven't had much for free time yet this week.  Hopefully by the end of this weekend I can finish her up.

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
Re: Bow #3 Teaser - Now finished - with pics
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2010, 03:48:41 pm »
Well I finally got around to finishing up my dad's Christmas present.  Despite not having a chance in hell at winning BOM due to the amazing entries this month, I couldn't wait to post the pictures :) It turned out to be about 37# @28".  I did a handle wrap with a tanned beaver tail that I got from Adam, I think it turned out ok.  Maple wrapped in beaver tail - it can't get much more Canadian than that!  ;D I love the markings on the rawhide backing too.  Anyway, here they are:

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
Re: Bow #3 Teaser - Now finished - with pics
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2010, 03:51:06 pm »
Here's a close-up of the backing.