Author Topic: straightening phragmites shafts  (Read 1656 times)

Offline swamp monkey

straightening phragmites shafts
« on: November 30, 2010, 11:27:05 am »
Does anyone have any tricks for straightening phragmites reeds.  I have made a few display arrows and in the process of straightening the shafts i found they broke more easily.  I heated them much as I did river cane over coals.  Is dry heat not the trick?  I want to make some  Anasazi arrows and make some Chickasaw phragmites fishing arrows - display only though.  If anyone has some tips I would eat that up.  That subject would make a good how to post!

The pic below is from a display I helped with about six years ago.  It has a phragmites arrow near the top with dogwood tips.  I chose to fletch the arrow with goose feathers even though I did not find much evidence for it.  I may not do that in future projects.  Live and learn.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: straightening phragmites shafts
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 11:35:45 am »
Look on page 7 of the "How To" section. Patrick(Jackcrafty) makes a set of Phrag arrows. Might just have what you need!  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 12:39:50 pm »
Wow!  I have never noticed the "how to" section.  My weekend just got booked.   however after looking this over, his post only mentions straightening- not how he did this.  I noticed on another post he mentioned amount of breakage while making shafts so maybe it is a part of doing phragmites business.  Still interested in input though. 

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 01:54:04 pm »
Patrick has quite a few "How To" articles in that section. Maybe he has more on straightening phrag or maybe someone else does.
  Yeah, lots of good info in the "How To" setion for sure!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline RabidApache

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 02:24:07 pm »
I've had the best luck straightening phrags in two steps. First is straightening while still green. Than after a few days drying time finish with final straightening. I straighten my arrows over my woodstove. I just take shaft roll on stove for a few minutes or other heat sources. I hear heat gun/blower works nice for this too. With gloves or mitts hand straighten. I've found green shafts take a bend so easily when heated. Good Luck.
Forever making arrows!