Author Topic: 1st try with a hazel nut stave  (Read 9223 times)

Offline snag

1st try with a hazel nut stave
« on: December 06, 2010, 08:38:52 pm »

As you can see in the first picture the stave has a little reflex in one limb and deflex in the other. Since this is my first try at a selfbow I wasn't sure what to do so I just made a bow with what the wood gave me. I guess I could steam the deflexed limb...? What do you think as far as where I am with this now?  Total rookie!

Is. 49:2 ....He made me a polished arrow and concealed me in His quiver.

Offline half eye

Re: 1st try with a hazel nut stave
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 08:50:46 pm »
Hey snag,
       It looks to my old eyes that the limbs are wanting to get symetrical (when bent a little) just the way they are. Think if ya keep an eye on their symetry as ya tiller it should work good, like it is. If they get kitty-wampus (technical term  :D) as ya go along you might want to heat correct at that time.....JMO
rich

Offline Little John

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 10:41:21 pm »
Looks like you could go either way with it, I think it would probably be fine as is but might be nicer if trued up a bit. I might get it to bending a little more and see what happens.     Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 01:40:54 am »
The right limb looks 1/3 longer than the left limb.  ??? ...or it that my old eyes?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 05:20:27 am »
Looks like you need to take a fair bit off the belly.
There's a few Hazel bows on my website (click the globe symbol under my username), it might give you some help.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Holten101

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, 06:55:55 am »
One thing to be aware of with Hazle is that it is (very) weak in compression, so make your belly as flat and wide as possible and considder dropping a stiff handle section! Hazle make excelent bows (one of my fastest bows ever was hazle....WAS, because it crysalled). Also I would make the reflexed limb the upper limb, because of the tendency to make reflexed limbs weaker to conform to the tiller.

As someone else said...looks like you can scrape a fair deal more, it is in what I would call the floor tillering stage by now;-)

Good luck mate...I bet it will be a succes if you keep in mind to keep the belly flat and wide;-)

Cheers

HatchA

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 08:03:56 am »
Also might want to use a shorter length of string for tillering   ;)

Offline snag

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2010, 11:13:22 am »
Thanks for the input guys. Being a rookie and knowing how I like to hurry and get things done this has been a challenge..."to go slow"! I think I'll stick just tillering it with it's natural shape and see how it comes along like Half Eye said. When you say put a "short string" on it, does that mean a string of the length you would use to actually shoot it with? Or do I use a string the length of the bow?  Sure is fun.

Pat, you had me second guessing myself...they are 1/2" difference. But in the pictures they sure don't look like it.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 12:10:00 pm by snag »

Offline acker

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2010, 12:37:26 pm »
It does look more than just a 1/2" .
Would you mind to messure it for us from the ends to the center of the handle ?

acker

HatchA

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2010, 01:02:13 pm »
I use a string that's about as long as the bow is - maybe a couple of inches extra.  Flemish loop on one end, timber hitch on the other.

You only want to use a shorter string when your ready to brace the bow.

That hazel's got some nice character to it!  Hope to try it some day.

Keep us posted ;)

Offline snag

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2010, 01:37:58 pm »
30"X30.5", middle of handle.

Offline acker

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2010, 07:20:48 pm »
 :)
Thank you snag .

What  is your draw length and  which drawweight should the bow gonna have ?

Offline snag

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2010, 07:56:12 pm »
My draw length is 28.5" and I would love it to come in at 50+#. But I don't know anything about how to achieve that.  I need to put up a matrix board to check it as I tiller it.  I don't know if I'll be able to make this wood bend to 28" and still keep the poundage up.  With this stave I'm just trying to make a functional bow I guess. This is a learning experience. I figure if I can make a few that are successful I'll pull out the osage or yew staves I have and see if I can make a hunting bow.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2010, 05:52:49 pm »
If you want 50# at 28" on a Hazel bow that short I think you will need it to bend through the handle.
(Probably need heat treating the belly too)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline snag

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2010, 06:05:45 pm »
I split a 75" long osage stave the other day. I think I can get 3 bows out of it. What is the minimum back width I should go if I am wanting a 50#-55# bow?

I did some more scraping up near the fades to get more bend in the limbs on this hazelnut bow. Should I work the bow (draw it) 20 or 30 times each time I take some wood off? Or should I just pull it and let it stay drawn for some time?