Author Topic: Thought ya'lld like to see this....... (1800's african bow and arrow)  (Read 2436 times)

Offline P.W. Smith

Hello All...
I thought this might be of interest to some, so I decided to upload some pics...
This is an African Longbow, of the Kuba people, in the Congo Region, from the late 1800's.....

It has a round cross section,

There are no nocks on this bow -the tips taper to a point starting about an inches from the ends

It also is make from a unknown (black) hardwood, and is about 70 inches long - floor tiller estimates it to be about 70-90 lbs, (at 28 inches)
The arrow that came with it, is 36 inches long, and is a shoot shaft from the same tree as the bow. hmmm..... wonder how long their draw length was...?

It is fletched with some type of hawk or eagle feathers, with the cock feather being solid black, and the other two black and white....

The fletching is glued down with some type of tar product, and is wrapped with fine vegetable fiber thread.

The point is forged out of iron, is attached with the same stuff as the fletches, and is 3 inches long from the back of the collar to the tip of the head.

Hope you guys enjoy.....

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Thought ya'lld like to see this....... (1800's african bow and arrow)
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 05:40:49 pm »
Very cool, PW. I love looking at old archery stuff. Thanks for posting this!   8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 05:47:49 pm »
Looks Cool,  Thanks for sharing.  Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline P.W. Smith

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 05:48:35 pm »
You're very welcome, Pat..... Glad you like it. I also got this specific set for a song, so..... that makes it even better!

Offline P.W. Smith

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 05:49:15 pm »
.... and Ron.  ;D posted while i was looking.....