Author Topic: Algonquian face carved nock bow  (Read 4912 times)

Offline swamp monkey

Algonquian face carved nock bow
« on: December 16, 2010, 04:24:30 pm »
The stave plagued me.  I cut it down from a storm damaged hickory. It was a bear to haul out of this deep river valley.  It did not stike me that this section might be prior damaged.  I let it dry in the basement & I drawknifed the outer bark followed by a quick outline drawing.  Normally I take off the inner bark too but not this time.  I roughed out the outline and THEN took off the inner bark only to discover the back was riddled with tunnels carved by borers.  I sulked for about two years and kept the stave in the basement only to pull it out and explain to others what borers do to hickory.  Some time later I was inspired by some bows in the Chicago Field Museum.  I cannot remember what tribe but the rings were violated badly on the back.  Obviously the bow worked so when I got home I took my spokeshave to the back and worked it down to a smooth even ring violated surface.  I violated the grain but equally for the most part.  THEN I got to work tillering.  Following that I was able to carve the faces in the the nocks just like the Algonquians did.  I made the bow roughly to specs to the one on page 29 of Allely and Hamm's encyclopedia of NABA&Q Vol. 1.  That is a great book for inspiration.  By the way Hickory is not easy to carve like cedar and tupelo are. 

Once done I burned some incising marks to replicate what the original had, followed by a dark stain and some sealant.  The bow weighs in at 35# @ 28"  The measurements are fairly close to the original being 69 " long, 1" wide and roughly 3/8" thick.  The bow took an inch and 1/4 of set when unstrung.  Now I am glad I did not throw it on the burn pile.  It just needed for me to learn enough to save it. 

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
Re: Algonquian face carved nock bow
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 04:33:10 pm »
Cool! You from the Chicago area?  I live near Algonquin.
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 04:35:49 pm »
Naw, I'm from SE Missouri.  The field museum was a stop during a trip I took to the windy city.  The field museum has a wonderful Native American display wing and a super cool section on Pre-Columbian natives.  I wish I had more time to explore those two wings. 
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 10:17:28 am by swamp monkey »

Offline half eye

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 04:55:18 pm »
very nicely done, Swamp.
rich

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 05:29:20 pm »
Been thinking bout replicating the exact same bow some time in the future... Very nice!
What stain did you use to darken the wood??
Frank from Germany...

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 05:50:00 pm »
The stain was Min-wax "Early American"  with two coats Then three layers of gun stock "tru" oil.

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 09:47:54 pm »
Ya'll are dead set on picking a bow for BOM down-right impossible this month, ain't ya?  That's a mighty fine bow.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2010, 08:15:07 am »
Very nice,the tiller looks dead on and the carvings are really cool,must have taken some time for that. Very nice work and great save on a questionable stave. Hickory is some tough wood for sure. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good