Author Topic: Another one for the "Dumb crap I've done" file  (Read 5144 times)

Offline jonathan creason

Another one for the "Dumb crap I've done" file
« on: December 17, 2010, 12:00:28 pm »
Since we got some nasty weather yesterday I thought it would be a good time to get a fire rolling and cook some rock.  Only problem was, there wasn't much dry wood to be found and I was trying to get the fire rolling quick.  While dragging some cedar limbs and stuff from out back I noticed last year's Christmas tree laying there.  Of course, my first thought was "Yep, that'll do it."

Needless to say, I'm glad my wife wasn't home, because ho-lee crap that thing went up in a hurry.  For about 20 seconds I had some 10-12 ft. flames shooting up along with a cloud of black smoke.  I fully expected to hear the fire whistle at any second.

My inner 13 year old chuckled with glee.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline AncientArcher76

Re: Another one for the "Dumb crap I've done" file
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 12:13:44 pm »
John I wont go there and tell u the time...ok I will one summer afternoon I decided to have a BBQ. With charcoal I didnt have lighter fluid.  OH I have a 2 gallon can full of gas.  I dumped som on and lit it ...alright its working then it went out standing about 6ft away I picked up the gas can and all of a sudden a vapor flame shot from the grill to the nozzle, long story short I threw the can on the ground and next thing u know about a hundred firemen were there I was so emberrassed and my wife Im sure! 

I would suggest using a cheap old bag of charcoal...ask mullet he had a post on cooking rock with charcoal it was cool!!!

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 12:44:21 pm »
this one time.....
 hahaha ok we built a fire one night and thought it would be fun to put a cinder block in ther fire. We then filled beer botles with mow gas and were chunking them at the block. Big fire balls woohoo.
 Long story short we ended up catching the yard on fire.  :D
Mililani Hawaii

Offline warhawk

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 02:09:01 pm »
When i was in the army we had to throw smoke grenades during certain training events and well all can say is that it burnt 14 acres of forest after the fire department came to put it out. Oh i forgot I'm not the one that throw the smoke grenade.
In working in stone i find my past, in giving of the blood i pay for the future.

Offline Hardawaypoints

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 07:18:25 pm »
In 1993, my wife & I bought a house that was fixing to go into foreclosure.  The people who were losing the house decided that if they couldn't keep it, then whoever got it was going to have to make a LOT of repairs.  They kicked holes in the walls, busted the toilets & sinks, took the fixtures, etc..  They also left a bunch of torn up wood furniture.  We hauled off the  recycle-ables and hazardous stuff, but piled the wood debris in the center of the back yard for a bonfire at the "House warming" party we were going to have.  Beforehand,  I cantacted the fire department up the road to see if I needed a permit to burn.  When they said no, I told them what day and address we were going to have the party at in case we needed their help.

I kept pulling wood out of the house, broken closet doors, messed up book shelves, a big wine rack, ladderback chairs that had the seat kicked through, cabinet doors that had been ripped from their hinges,and on & on.  By the time of the party, the pile was pretty big.  I had a neighbor bring his tractor and harrow up a ring around the fire pile so none would get away.  I also mowed the grass close and raked the dead grass away to cut down on the possibility of the fire running away.

We had a bunch of chairs and benches and lots of adult beverages for the party. Being a closet pyro, I made a fuse to the fire pile with a pound of  black powder and put some white gas in the center of the pile... The fuse burning up to the pile was awesome.  The flames hit the gas and the center of the pile caught in a hurry.  If I had been thinking clearly, I would have put the gas on one side of the pile and let it burn across.  Instead, the entire pile became engulfed in flame and flames were leaping about 60 feet in the air.  Our guests were getting nervous and some thought the propane tank on the other end of the house might blow up.  As the flames and sparks were rising with the heat, they cleared the tops of the trees behind the house.  People who lived on the next road over could see some of the flames and sparks and thought there was a grass fire in the big field about a half-mile from the house.  We could hear the sirens coming up the main road, running past our road.  Then, we heard the sirens coming back down the road and making a right towards the other big field.  By now, most of the fuel had burnt off the fire because the wood was so dry.  By the time the fire department showed up the fire was less than 3 feet high and everyone was standing around it drinking and singing.  I offered the firefighters a beer (they were on duty and couldn't drink) and asked them why nobody at their station has posted the fact that I was going to be having a party with a bonfire on that date.  The look in the firefighter's face was priceless.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Offline leapingbare

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 07:23:08 pm »
haha, good one  ;)
Mililani Hawaii

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 07:30:02 pm »
Back in 89 I set the woods behind our house on fire when the fire in the trash barrell got away from us on a windy day. Burnt 10 acres of our land and came very close to burning some paper company timber. If it werent for the 6ft ditch on the property line I would of had to pay 100$ per year the trees were growing per acre of land burnt.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2010, 09:35:32 pm »
so my brother in law decided that the smoldering fire wasnt good enough. he threw some logs on. big logs take a long time to catch and he had the beer goggles on so he decided to pour some gas on the "smoldering" fire. so the flames were now shooting out of the spout of the gas can and he was running around trying to figure out what to do with the five gallons of gas that was on fire in his hands. well now both tents are on fire, he spilled gas on two of the kids (they were fine), and both of his legs were on fire. after i made sure the kids werent still on fire i grabbed a blanket and smothered his legs. then my other brother in law had to hold me back cause i was gonna kick the livin $#!t out of him. aaaaaaaaaaahhh good times
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2010, 10:13:24 pm »
 I have lots of stories involving fire. ;D I built a big red brick BBQ grill, oven. It was at the back of a big brick patio under a 10'x 20' Chickee. One night we had a few friends over and were eating raw oysters and somebody wanted a fire. ::) No matter what I did the wood would not burn like a drunk wanted it to,soooo, 5 gallons of gas later and a match and we had a fire.

Yep! A fireball shot across the patio from ground level to about 3' high. The smell of burning hair was awsome. ;D It also blew the whole back wall out of my Grill.

And has anybody ever started a fire in the fireplace in a house with gasoline? That's another story. :)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline leapingbare

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2010, 10:22:26 pm »
haha Eddie i was waiting for you to post! I just knew you had some good ones  ;)
Mililani Hawaii

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2010, 11:09:16 pm »
My shining moment involved a quart of lamp oil, a 1/2 bail of hay, and a wheelbarrow under a large black walnut tree. WTF was I thinking?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2010, 11:23:14 pm »
 ;Dwell at least I wasn't the only one... I love how we all got carried away telling our stories...to somehow think we all relate somehow to rocks...nope its the caveman inside us all that says go ahead throw gasoline on it...just to see what happens. Lol

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline piper

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2010, 11:27:29 pm »
Man I wish I could have been there with all y'all.....

Now about 1980 the best I remember I had a very big brush pile that a big dozer made after clearing about 2 acres of land for me...I try to burn this pile two times before ..but this time she was going to go...... I was tired of playing with her ....first thing first...need to get the head right...then 3or 4 beers.... four big truck tires .... ten gallone of diesel ....five gallons of gas ....and a poured a gas fuse about 15 feet long dead down wend..last mistake .. when I lit the old Bic... well that is the last I remember for a few seconds...I think I saw the brush pile come back to earth and my ex-wife come out of the back of the house trailer to see what just happen...she eat my ass for ten min... but that bad boy burnt this time. Thats my story and I'm sticking to it.
It's hard to ride two horses when you only have one ass

Western North Carolina

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2010, 12:32:56 am »
A few years back I obtained a medium size bear hide that I brain tanned then proceeded to smoke the hide. I constructed a tepee using bamboo poles and a large canvass tarp, about 10 feet high and 6 feet across. I had used this process on deer hides in the past with success, hanging the hides inside the tepee with a smoldering pot of punk wood in the center. I then had to run to the bathroom and left the nicely smoldering tepee at work, just for a few minutes. As I was sitting there I heard two shotgun blasts in my back yard, did you know that bamboo will explode like a shotgun blast when on fire? I returned shortly and found my tepee burnt to the ground along with my precious bear hide. The leaves above were all black and wrinkled from the extreme heat. Couldn't believe it didn't start a woods fire. Just "lucky" I guess
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2010, 09:35:53 am »
Haha, these stories are great.  I should let my wife read the so she can see I'm not the only redneck running around unsupervised.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis