Author Topic: Need bowyers opinions on a tool Bowyers edge or Dean Torges bowyers rasp?  (Read 11248 times)

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
I have used both of these and love them both, they work great! But at this time I only have money to buy one or the other. Which one has been more usefull to you. the bowyers edge or bowyers rasp? Both by Dean Torges Or if u know of a more affordable tool that works as well please do share. Right now I strictly use a farriers rasp and pocket knife and want something that works more efficiently. thank you for any input ;D
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Need bowyers opinions on a tool Bowyers edge or Dean Torges bowyers rasp?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 10:08:59 pm »
For me, nothing works more efficiently than a farriers rasp. Lots of tools more expensive, not sure they work better though.  ;)
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 11:06:34 pm »
I have the bowyers edge and very rarely use it. I have heard that Dean's rasp is a very good one but I have never seen one or used one. I do prefer a Nicholson #49 rasp for bow building. Like Justin said a farriers rasp is quite handy also.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 11:43:32 pm »
cummon guys 42 views and only 2 replys? weigh in here lol
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Timo

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 12:00:56 am »
I'd go with the rasp.

I have used one exclusively now since it's inception and have found no equal to it.

I also use the edge a good bit but mainly just on the belly. The rasp can be used for many things in the bow building process.

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 12:20:11 am »
Rasp
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline wvarcher

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 09:50:44 am »
I have a Bowyers E. that i use a lot.  It's worth every penny i paid for it.  I don't own one of his rasps.  Instead, i have farriers rasp i bought from the Amish.   I really believe that  a good sharp rasp is more useful when making a bow than the BE tool. 

Offline Eric Garza

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 09:53:41 am »
I primarily use a nicholson wood rasp, not the expensive #49 or 50.  I think I buy them for less than $10 each.  They work great.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010, 10:02:21 am »
I have used the Boyer's edge and it fine but didn't seem much better that the ones I use from old band saw blades,guess it's what you get use to.I have never used his rasp,I use a 49/50
Nicholson's and a farrier rasp most of the time,love the farriers rasp and when you get use to using it you can take off a lot or a little and leave the wood pretty smooth. :)
Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2010, 10:05:05 am »
I have a bowyers edge, works OK on clear wood but used on anything with pins and grain swirls it is going to chatter and dig in. I am sure it is my lack of sharpening ability that causes my problem with it. I have sharpened it every way imaginable and set the blade depth dozens of different ways and it still chatters.

I use a #49 rasp the most.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2010, 10:35:12 am »
I found the Bowyers Edge worked well on clear yew and ERC but I had the same results as Eric on other woods.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline macbow

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2010, 12:37:16 pm »
I checked with Dean about 6 months ago and he was not making the Bowyers edge at that time. Was considering some for the future.
Ron
Ron Mackenberg   Warsaw, MO.

Offline 1776J

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2010, 01:19:30 pm »
I have his rasp and its great,... have only used it once though,.. but its really nice to work with a little smaller than a regular farrier's rasp, which makes it a "little" more versitile due to its size.

Offline straightarrow

• "Success or failure, neither are final"
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2010, 01:39:23 pm »
I never used his tools...I guess I'm cheap. I use a farriors rasp and a nicholson 49. The Nicholson was given to me. I bought cheap rasp at the hardware store for 8 bucks and it works just as well as the Nicholson. I guess expensive itsn't always better. As soon as it becomes a speciality tool for building bows....the price goes up

Jon

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2010, 04:21:25 pm »
I love my farriers rasp,and band saw blade scrapers. Do reccomend a goose neck scraper,it has been a handy tool for me.
laugh. its good for ya