Author Topic: Plains Indian style bow  (Read 5413 times)

Offline Wolf Watcher

Plains Indian style bow
« on: December 24, 2010, 08:35:08 pm »
Am looking for a plains Indian style bow for a bow and arrow quiver I plan to make for a donation for Twin Oaks at this year's Classic.  I have lots of elk and white tail horns, lots of different wood including some redwood burl table tops, walnut clock rounds, several partially started myrtle wood bowls and myrtle wood turning blocks.  Some birdseye maple and juniper and some flint nodes (don't know just what flint, but most from Texas)  and some obsidian.  Would be willing to make a personalized tooled belt or gun sling.  If any of this stuff adds up to something you would be willing to trade for send me a PM.  The table tops and full sized elk horns are expensive to ship.  A/Ho Pokie
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline Eric Garza

Re: Plains Indian style bow
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010, 09:48:49 pm »
There are many Plains style bows, is there one tribe in particular that you want the bow to replicate?  What type of wood, how long/wide, what style of nocks, sinew backed or not?  Are the elk and white tail antlers gathered sheds, or are they from hunted animals on skull caps?

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, 11:09:39 pm »
Eric:  Almost all sheds!  I really made a mistake in asking for a Indian Plains style bow.  What I really am looking for is a rather short bow that I can make a plains style bow and arrow quiver for.  Since this is to be a donation, the bow might just end up being a wall hanger.  I have a short bow made by James Parker that measures 53" unstrung tip to tip and it works in the quiver just fine.  I hunt off a mule and horses so this type of quiver works best.   I have several long bows from my trips to the Classic, but they are too long for a workable plains style quiver.  Most of the Twin Oaks gang hunts turkeys and white tails so something above 40# would be great.  Last year several of the fellows donated to this effort  (Timo a bow, Pat B, Hawkbow, Aero86, arrows; Shannon turkey spurs and beard for decoration, & Dana a neck knife).  I also have a rug made from a black wildebeest, a shoulder mounted kudu and a red heartabeast that I got in Africa that I could trade.  I am unable to post pictures on the PA Site, but can send them via Email.  If all else fails, I will go to one of the PA magazine bow maker sponsors with filthy lucre for a bow!  A/Ho Pokie

Offline Eric Garza

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 11:47:23 pm »
So you're looking for a 53 inch bow?  Type of wood?  Design? 

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 10:23:02 am »
Eric:  Thanks for the response. Am looking for a plains style bow that I can make a real looking bow and arrow quiver for.  I have been lucky enough to have an offer of a bow that will be perfect for this project.  The plan is to donate the bow and quiver at this year's classic.  I also would like to have a good shooting short draw plains Indian bow for my own use and to be honest I really don't know a whole lot about them.  Have only seen them in the local museum. Am a little confused about the arrows the Indians used to shoot buffalo off a horse as the draw is short and some of the arrows I have seen in the Buffalo Bill museum in Cody are quite long.  Have to figure that out before I can start on the quiver.  Thanks again for the message.  A/Ho Pokie