Author Topic: 2 failed bows, ( or pillars of success )  (Read 5188 times)

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
2 failed bows, ( or pillars of success )
« on: December 27, 2010, 02:32:07 pm »
thought I'd post these 2 failed bows and spread the message that ' failures are the pillars of success' not just failures.... I made these over the last month and they both failed miserably. Wasted a lot of time, energy and materials. The fisrt (unstrung) was about 150lb and I ruined it thinning the edges and finnaly scraping the belly in desperation to get the weight down. The second was the right weight(60#) but the one limb hinged out of the fade because the limbs where too stiff.( I glued in 10 inch of reflex and underestimated how stiff that would make the limbs..). I had no idea of dimensions, so they where basically guesswork, couldnt find anyone to help....., but thats the way to learn!!!..... The last one still shot 150fps even with a hinged limb, the hinge dissapears after 10 mins of unstringing. The bow weighs 16oz, very light, just shows the potential if you get it right...... After all, this forum is a place to learn not just a place to show off when we get it all right..... If anyone can help me with dimensions of this type of bow or any tips, I'd be really grateful. Forgot to mention, they are bamboo back and belly with a hard maple core, the maple was a kind gift from Rich Half Eye
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 02:35:39 pm by dragonman »
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline Jesse

Re: 2 failed bows, ( or pillars of success )
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 02:45:41 pm »
Thanks for posting dragonman.  I wish I could help with the dimensions.  The way I would go about it is to tiller the bow with just the boo backing first. Tiller it to 20# under weight and then add a tempered bamboo belly to get the 20# back.  If you could get James parker or David to help you out they might have dimensions for an all at once glue up.  I like the reverse riser. Never tried that :) good luck
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 03:04:18 pm »
Thanks Jesse, I like that idea, didnt think of that , but I bet it will work,,, I asked James, looks like hes got it down, but he always ignores my questions, anyway if I just copied a set of dimensions what would I learn???
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline n2huntn

• jeff_smith13@hotmail.com ROLL TIDE !
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 04:05:54 pm »
I've seen your work Dragonman, you don't need to copy anyone. And its only a faillure if you quit working at it. looking forward to see whats next.
Jeff
Genesis 27: 3

Offline half eye

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 05:01:23 pm »
I got to go with Jeff, ya dont need to copy anybody......I'm sure that you can figure out how this particular puzzel piece fits into the equation.
rich

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 06:52:27 pm »
thanks guys, I appreciate that, I'm on the case, next one is underway. But still it's always good to be able to accept help and advice. If there was no challenge there would  be no fun either

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 08:13:30 pm »
       Ruff out your bow,glue it up. And build a tillering board with a scale. This way you can tiller it to the weight you want to the draw lenth you want. Never go past the weight you want. This way  you don't  lock your limbs in plase while you stand back and check your tiller. This way you never put the exture stress on your limbs also by never going over you desired weight.This will also put exture stress on your limbs. Keep the weight you want as you tiller it back to the draw lenth you want. You end up with what you want you don't put exture stress on your limbs. You end up with no string follow. ALL WOOD IS DIFFERENT you can build a bow through demintions
  I 've built over 80 bows this way. Only had 4 fail  back in the mid 90's. 2 Through bad staves,wood is wood. 1 That the guy wanted 90#s the other the guy wanted 100#'s. Idid build these 2 bows. But these  failed through bad design, To narrow not wide enough.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline aero86

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2010, 11:45:32 pm »
uh oh, got me interested!  lol.  anything with lots of reflex gets me.  and if it had siyahs too!  care to trade for a piece of bamboo?  i need some!  lol
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2010, 01:11:06 pm »
Hey Dave, thought I would share some pics of the all bamboo bow we've been messaging about. It's 65 1/2" long, 1 1/2" wide. I hope the pics help you get a better idea of what I've been trying to explain.
Rockford, MI

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2010, 07:33:07 am »
thanks Tatoo, that looks like a cool bow, I still cant really see much, but I can see that there is a very long slow taper out of the handle , no fade out section, interesting, how does it shoot?

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2010, 08:46:00 am »
 I may be a little off here, and by no meens a pro. But 10" of glued in reflex seems a bit much. You might try 3" of glue in then tiller to 10# below target weight. Then glue up the belly boo. Then if you are over weight, tiller for weight from the sides...Good luck, can't wait to see the finished product ;)
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2010, 07:58:24 pm »
Hillbilly, thats a good idea , bamboo though is so tough I believe it can easily take this reflex, compared to wood 10" would be way too much, but not for bamboo, but that is still a good way to get the weight right and do half the tilleroing before completion

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2010, 09:54:04 pm »
Thanks dragonman, it is a cool bow if you ask me, and it shoots like a house on fire. It's 60# @26". Very little tiller was needed, just to get it down to the weight I wanted.
Rockford, MI

Offline Jesse

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2010, 10:44:17 pm »
Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. Your previous bows have all been very nice as well.  Your right about bamboo. It can take a lot more stress than wood. Your design looks good to me. Maybe a longer taper out of the handle?  Im sure with a little tweaking your gonna have one heck of a bow.
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark