Author Topic: Snowy CSI  (Read 6551 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Snowy CSI
« on: December 27, 2010, 07:35:48 pm »
On our walk this morning we noticed this scene off in the woods not far from our driveway.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bryan irwin

Re: Snowy CSI
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 07:41:15 pm »
wow pat did you find any tracks.
bryan irwin

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 07:44:25 pm »
If I was a betting man I would say dogs based on the way the carcass was consumed.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 07:49:02 pm »
Brian, Our hunting season has been over for two weeks now so it wasn't hunters that killed her. I'm assuming it was coyotes. We found it about 10 this morning and she wasn't frozen even with most of the meat off and without her innards so it must been this morning when she met her end. It was 19deg at day break this morning. It's wierd that everything was in that one area and not a big scuffle area. Like the coyotes(or whatever) jumped her right there, brought her down and that was it. Her body was dragged a little bit but not very far.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sailordad

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 08:06:29 pm »
did ya grab the sinew before you left?   ;D
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 08:08:04 pm »
Tim, I'm going back to get the goodies later.  ;)    I put a trail cam on it to see what visits tonight.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 08:50:24 pm »
Nowhere near a Road Pat? Don't seem right that Yotes would have taken down a Full Grown Doe...not in that little bit of Snow...Could She have been injured by a Car and wandered in to die there?
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2010, 08:58:13 pm »
Mike, the closest paved road(dead end and we are at the end) is 1/4mi away and two miles to a road with enough traffic to worry about.   That's what seems so strange.  Didn't hear any shots last night or this morning.
  Last year during hunting season someone shot a spike on a nearby property and it died up along the power line that goes through our property and no one found it. We watched the carcus for a week to see the progression of disassembly and decided we needed the trail cam for such events(  ;)  ::) ). I did collect leg bones and the spikes from it when all was said and done.

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2010, 09:08:33 pm »
The trail cam may tell you something later.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline Little John

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2010, 09:18:12 pm »
That is wierd Pat, what that is also funny is that you have snow and we have none. Be intresting to see the trail cam pics.
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2010, 09:34:52 pm »
Pulling off my $700 pair of sunglasses and using my best Horatio Caine/CSI Miami voice....."From the lack of I.D. or distinguishing marks I guess we'll have to call her (pause for dramatic effect).... 'Jane Doe'. "
*YEEEEEEEEE-AAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH*
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2010, 12:59:34 am »
John, I think you nailed it! Jane Doe!  ;D

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2010, 12:18:32 pm »
I pulled the media card from the trail cam this morning. There were 25 pics on the card but except for an initial viewing my card reader won't read this card. I guess the card is worn out.
  From looking at the initial pics it looks like mostly crows and my lab Lucy. I wondered where she went yesterday afternoon!  ::)Nothing was disturbed this morning compared to yesterday. I installed a new card and will check it later. Still couldn't tell what or who was involved.

Offline PeteC

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2010, 12:34:44 pm »
I always put a camera on a gutpile. I've got pictures of coyotes,vultures,possums,coons,crows,squirrels,and ,on the doe I got this thanksgiving,a big bobcat,for 2 hours and 45 minutes.You never know what your going to get. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2010, 12:40:00 pm »
Nowhere near a Road Pat? Don't seem right that Yotes would have taken down a Full Grown Doe...not in that little bit of Snow...Could She have been injured by a Car and wandered in to die there?

Mike, our coyotes here ain't the same ones ya'll have out west. The eastern yote is almost evolved into a differnt species, and they carry wolf DNA. Some of ours go over 60 lbs, and they run in packs like wolves. They commonly take down adult deer on a regular basis . Our average mature doe here weighs about a hundred pounds, and the average yearling about 50-60. The average yote is about 45-50.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.