Author Topic: quick question on string length and bow stress.  (Read 1615 times)

Offline carpenter374

quick question on string length and bow stress.
« on: December 30, 2010, 03:50:44 pm »
howdy y'all. wonderin somethin. i made a new flemish type dacron string for my bow this morning. somehow got a touch off on my measurement. after i had trimmed the ends and stretched it when i remeasured it and it was about 3/8" short of my old string. it adds about 1/4 in to the brace height on my bow when i string it. being as the bow is well broken in and was tillered to the original length how much could i expect that to raise stress on the bow and how much draw weight? scales r broken so i can't check it.  The bow isn't underbuilt by any means. i drew it slowly a few times with the new string and didn't notice any set increase or anything. curious what it might do over time. thx.
"Those who would sacrifice their freedom for safety will find that they will inherit neither." -Ben Franklin     

--Carpenter

Offline crooketarrow

Re: quick question on string length and bow stress.
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 03:59:53 pm »
    Sounds like your ok plus your olds string problely streched a little.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 04:00:38 pm »
It won't hurt anything. The new string will stretch and probably be fine after it does. You might try prestretching the string. I hook one loop over a nail and pull the string tight while rubbing a small piece of leather back and forth the length of the string creating heat. This heat will help stretch the string plus help the string wax penetrate down into the string.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline carpenter374

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 07:44:16 pm »
always stretched my strings by hand never tried heat. worked perfectly. thanks;)
"Those who would sacrifice their freedom for safety will find that they will inherit neither." -Ben Franklin     

--Carpenter

Offline macbow

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 09:13:08 pm »
Sounds like it should stretch just fine being dacron. You can untwist it one or two twists if it doesn't stretch.
Ron
Ron Mackenberg   Warsaw, MO.