Author Topic: fur to trade for staves  (Read 3016 times)

Offline furdressing1

fur to trade for staves
« on: January 01, 2011, 02:33:22 pm »
 I have a selection of hides (coyote, deer moose elk etc.) I would like to trade for staves. I am very much a beginner at making my own bows but have been an active archer and hunter for over 30 years. I don't much care what type of wood but would prefer something that doesn't require backing. I'm just not experienced enough to try that yet
  Thanks

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: fur to trade for staves
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 03:58:46 pm »
Did you tan the hides yourself? what kind of tanning?  Any pics?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 04:13:54 pm »
I might be interested in some hides.  I have osage staves.  Like Pat said, you got any pics.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline furdressing1

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 05:55:09 pm »
 The hides are all professionally tanned using the newest methods and materials. I note some posts stating, hard tanned?? Here we refer to the tanning as wet or dry tanned. Wet is primarily for mounting purposes and will dry hard, dry is for rugs etc. and is soft and plyable. I have both types. You guys will have to bear with me as I am not a computer genius at all,( if I hit the on switch and the machine comes on I think I've done something.) I know how to attach photos on my regular email but not here. Could we do it that way? What type of critter are you interested in and want to see pics of.       
                Thanks
                  Dale

Offline Keenan

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 06:46:29 pm »
Fur,  I have some Juniper, Yew and Vinemaple, and several other kinds. Could use some more hides for the Tipi. I know I'm third in line so let me know what you have left over. Thanks .

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2011, 06:54:22 pm »
You have a personal message!
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline furdressing1

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2011, 07:12:41 pm »
Keenan,
  As I am a complete beginner I would certainly be willing to try any good material to make bows. Can you tell me what type of hides you might like. I'm resonably sure we can accomodate you.
     Thanks

Offline Keenan

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 04:39:24 am »
Fur, thanks, I have a couple elk but a moose, maybe a couple caribou for the tipi chairs. ;) Just let me know what you have left.

Offline furdressing1

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 11:14:24 am »
Keenan,
 Sorry but I don't have any bou, people tend to always return for those. I do have a medium piece of moose also coyote and various pieces of deer. I keep lots of pieces for the fly fisherman. If you like I can try pics.
   Dale

Offline 1776J

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2011, 08:21:43 pm »
Post some photos,...
I may be interested.

Offline 1776J

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2011, 03:34:04 am »
Were you able to get your stave yet?

Offline furdressing1

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2011, 03:20:43 am »
Hi guys,
 sorry I have been lax in returning and answering posts, not much of a computer person. I have been able to get 2 staves and a pile of help from a member of the group. Much thanks to all that answered my offer. now I just have to try to build a good bow.
  Thanks again