Author Topic: Fish skin glue?  (Read 2224 times)

Offline sweeney3

Fish skin glue?
« on: January 01, 2011, 10:32:53 pm »
Hey folks, I did a quick search but didn't see what I was looking for.  Does anyone know how some of the more "common" fishes would work for fish skin glues?  I'm thinking of the bluegill and crappie that we catch a lot of in the spring and summer.  Seems all the fish skin glues you read about are sturgeon, salmonoids, something like that that takes some serious getting to.  Just wondering has anyone tried this and how did it work, or can you think of any reason why it WOULDN'T work.  I guess they might not be as oily/greasy as some other fish maybe?

What say you?

Offline half eye

Re: Fish skin glue?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 11:32:58 pm »
Hey Sweeney,
      It is my understanding that here in the northern Great Lakes Some of the other types of fish used for glue were Northern Pike, Musky's, and yellow perch. The perch are not fatty (just like the gills/crappie) so I dont see where it would hurt to give 'em a try. Make sure to include the swim bladders and intestines. Hope that might help.
rich

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 11:44:22 pm »
The fish glue that can be bought from Lee Valley is made from Cod skins.  Any fish skin should work
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 01:28:21 am »
how about catfish skin?

I got a 7 pounder in my freezer...might as well give it a try

Offline sweeney3

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 11:34:14 am »
Thanks folks.  Sounds like it's at least worth giving it a go and see what happens.  Be good human repelant too.  Start brewing up a pot whenever I don't want to deal with folks all day.   ;D

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 12:12:22 pm »
Knapper I used to know from Wyoming used carp skins that they got bow fishing.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.