Author Topic: Tips for a Beginning Bowyer  (Read 9470 times)

Offline DiGi

Tips for a Beginning Bowyer
« on: January 02, 2011, 04:01:23 pm »
Does anyone have any tips for a beginning bowyer? Any info will be welcome! To be more specific, how did you start your career as a traditional bowyer? If there was anything you wish you would have known when you made you first bow what is it? What should a first time bowyer look out for and/or make sure to do? Thanks in advance!

Offline Eric Garza

Re: Tips for a Beginning Bowyer
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 04:34:24 pm »
I started my "career" as a traditional bowyer by reading the Traditional Bowyer's Bibles, Vol. 1-3 and later 4.  I basically figured things out as I went, learned about the woods I had ready access to, learned what types of bows I like to make, like to look at, like to shoot, like to hunt with. 

A few things I'd suggest to a first time bowyer:

1.  Spend as much time learning to make good arrows as you do learning to make good bows,
2.  Don't back your bows,
3.  Make sure the wood is dry,
4.  Once you get the bow bending enough that you can brace it, put the file away and only use a scraper,
5.  Let the notions of other's inspire you, but don't allow yourself to be held captive by the way other's think things are supposed to be done.

Other things will probably come to mind, but this is a good start.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 08:40:20 pm by Eric Garza »

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 04:42:05 pm »
I'm also a beginner, actually gonna start my first bow in a day or two when the rain stops.  But I know every beginner needs to read/research as much as he can before he starts.  Of course there are certain things you can only learn by actually making a bow but you need to learn the basics first.  It was recommended that I read The Traditional Bowyers Bibles(I forget which volumes are good for beginners, i think 1 and/or 2) and The Bent Stick by Paul Comstock? (I think).  Theres is a wealth of information on this site and paleoplanet also.  Do a search for a good beginners bow and info will up from people that have posted the same questions you have.
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 04:43:42 pm »
I got bored shooting a compound bow and I saw a Bingham's add to build my own laminated bow.  Built a few of those and then saw an add for a John Strunk self bow class.  Went and did that and have been building bows ever since.  There's nothing I would change, I learned as much from the failures as the successes.  I learned an awful lot from other guys in the local traditional archery club.  I would recommend looking for other bowyers in your area.  You'll learn more in an afternoon building with somebody who knows the ropes than in a month of reading and experimenting.   I would also recommend checking out what good bow wood is in your area.  You're a lot more willing to try new things when there's lots more wood available than if you've paid hard earned money for a stave to be shipped to you.  Don't be afraid to break some wood.

Good luck,

George
St Paul, TX

Offline DiGi

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 04:44:38 pm »
I've also read the TBB vol 1. and I have the next three coming in the mail in about three days along with Paul Comstock's "Bent Stick". Are there any tools anyone would recommend? I am not new to wood, I've been wood carving for about two years now, so I have a band saw and chisels and a knife.

Offline DiGi

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 04:48:07 pm »
Thank you all. Yes I do have a lumber store that I frequent which has plenty of types of boards to choose from. But sadly, there are no archery clubs or anything near me. I have already tried searching for a long time.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 05:31:06 pm »
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline NTD

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 07:52:52 pm »
Use a Tiller Gizmo.  Can't tell you how much this little doo dad will help you in your initial tillering efforts!
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,23134.0.html
Nate Danforth

Offline woodstick

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 08:30:15 pm »
#1 take your time, hurry will kill you. seek all the info you can from books and friends on this site. ask all the ? you want. and the old saying goes, if first you dont suceed try again. i have broke a many of staves but i dont let it stop me from starting another. also a little of luck and prayer dont hurt. good luck on your new luv.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2011, 09:05:36 pm »
Hunting the osage bow by Dean Torges and Bows and arrows of the native americans by Jim Hamm are also good for beginners to read.  I take a bow building book with me just about every where and read it whenever I have a few minutes.

My biggest mistake on my first bow was when tillering.  I used the long tillering string for too long and ended up with a very light bow.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline DiGi

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2011, 09:40:28 pm »
Thanks everyone. Wait, so you need to use two size strings for tillering?

Offline NTD

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2011, 09:45:16 pm »
If you use a tillering string with an adjustable timber hitch on one end then No.  But it is a good idea to start tillering with a string long enough that you don't have to brace the bow.  As the bow gets bending further and evenly you will brace the bow to continue tillering.  So you need a shorter string somehow, an adjustable timber hitch is an easy way to go.
Nate Danforth

Offline DiGi

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2011, 09:51:57 pm »
Oh so as you tiller it you need to adjust the hitch to make it shorter so the bow bends more?

Offline sailordad

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2011, 11:10:23 pm »
the best advise i can give is
PATIENCE,if you dont have it,learn it cause its your best tool when building wood bows
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2011, 10:06:58 am »
Just start makin' bows.
The sooner you start the sooner it will make sense.
An ounce of experience is worth more than all the armchair bowmaking.
The internet has made a huge differnce, there is sooo much information out there (Click on my site, the globe sybol under my username). Look at all the stuff, read everything, but also be your own man and trust your hard earned experience.
Oh and beware of the armchair bowyers, there are plenty of guys who have never built anything happy to talk complete rubbish (not on here I hasten to add).
This site has taught me plenty over the last year, we all try to help eachother out.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.