Author Topic: Raw hide arrow heads  (Read 18158 times)

Offline Rick Wallace

Re: Raw hide arrow heads
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2011, 08:35:19 am »
Wallace

that is cool never would have thought of that

i guess the rawhide is thick have you tried that with other types of animal hide

This stuff is pretty thick, The pieces in the bag vary in size,  As for other hide, at our local feed seed store they have a barrel full of dried pig ears!  They are pretty thick and very hard. Im going to try those this week and will do another build-along. A little more detailed this time!
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2011, 08:39:58 am »
Any idea on the weight? I would think they would be very light and throw the FOC ballance point off?

I havent checked weight,they are light but at 10 yds they fly straight,all I had was vanes when I made that one Im waiting on my feather order to get here,im sure that will be better.
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2011, 12:23:02 pm »
Cane or hardwood shoot arrows they are point end heavy anyway so they might fly better with them.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2011, 12:34:26 am »
I know it might be more trouble than worth, but what about a wire wrap or brass sleeve to bring the weight up? I like the idea but I would want to shoot something that will fly reasonably well. And to be honest, I do not think I could get within 10 yards of a tree rat to get a shot. :'(
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2011, 08:28:16 am »
ha ha  I thought about glueing on a 38 casing then cutting a slot and tying on,If I ever get caught up on other projects I think ill try it.

Offline Christian

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2011, 09:25:08 am »
Using a longer and/or heavier foreshaft might do the trick. 

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2011, 11:23:20 pm »
ha ha  I thought about glueing on a 38 casing then cutting a slot and tying on,If I ever get caught up on other projects I think ill try it.
OK, now you got me wondering. Just going to have to do some experimenting. ;D

Using a longer and/or heavier foreshaft might do the trick. 
I had thought of that, and if I used cane I do not think it would be an issue. Unfortunately, it does not grow here (West Neb) and I can not see spending the dollars for shafts to throw at tree rats. That is what they stock fir/ceder/pine at home depot for right? >:D
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline arthur_the_great

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2012, 11:29:33 am »
cool idea i wil have to try it