Author Topic: Raw hide arrow heads  (Read 17982 times)

Offline Rick Wallace

Raw hide arrow heads
« on: January 03, 2011, 03:45:53 am »

Soak in warm water untill soft

cut out shapes you want

put on a flat surface

clamp down overnight or until dry

when dry sharpen with your belt sander,cut groves for attatching to the shaft and go shoot some rabbits !!
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
Re: Raw hide arrow heads
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 09:35:55 am »
 That's pretty clever !  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline Scowler

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 09:51:52 am »
Pertty inventive.  I'll have to make a few of those.

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 09:33:00 pm »
They are easy,cheap & fun!!  They work to!!!!!!
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 11:42:25 pm »
sorry for my inexperiance in this sort of thing but, that will penitrate and kill an animal? lol looks easy to make
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 07:14:52 am »
Absolutely !  My pastor told me how to make these,he hunts rabbits,squirrels and turkeys with them. After they dry very well they are good and hard,you could also paint them with fiber glass rosin to make them harder. I dont know if I would deer hunt with them,,

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 05:56:49 am »
     I read book about indains long time ago. It taked of indains in the SW (don't remember the tribe) doing this and harding and water proffed with somethig used these. Dont remember it saying what they hunted or even the name of the book. I was just a teenager at the time.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 01:23:24 pm »
I think there may be a reference to the use of rawhide arrowheads in Laubin's book on Native American archery.  I think it was said that a rawhide arrowhead will bend instead of shattering when hitting a rib bone, for example.  The arrow may then be able to keep on going and then hit the animals vitals, I dunno.  In any case, I don't see the advatage to this over a sharpened wood point...  except maybe the "coolness" factor. :)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 09:16:03 pm »
Your right,My pastor and I are Cherokee,This was taught to him by his grandfather who was taught by his father,grandfather,ect.... Who knows where else it came from,they are easy,very enexpensive and everyboby likes to look at them

Offline matte

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2011, 08:50:24 am »
I have read most everything posted on this site related to primitive arrows. I have been making primitive arrows for over fifty years and have heard, seen and done just about everything one may think of concerning  constructing primitive arrows but this is a first. Thanks for posting this as I see it will work. I just wish I had of thought of it long ago! It is rare that I see a post that inserts a new way of making arrows.
Matt

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2011, 01:41:23 am »
This is what they look like tied on.  This one has been shot at my haybale a bunch of times

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011, 01:23:42 am »
I would think in a battle situation a rawhide arrow head would be ideal. Can you imagine being shot with one. It could be deadly depending of where it hit it's target. If you wound your component his comrads have to stop fighting to help him. If you kill him, he's dead!!! A bit of rancid urine or feces would render that rawhide arrowhead very effective at imobileizing it's victim.
  For hunting you want a quick kill. In warfare you want to wound your opponent so his team looses manpower transporting and taking care of the victims.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline jkyarcher

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2011, 09:19:52 pm »
Wallace

that is cool never would have thought of that

i guess the rawhide is thick have you tried that with other types of animal hide

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2011, 09:28:27 pm »
Any idea on the weight? I would think they would be very light and throw the FOC ballance point off?
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2011, 10:22:40 pm »
Sweet...I just found my new field point/stumping point.  Dont have to worry about losing my trade points to trees.  vise grips are too heavy to go walking with.

Think I'll make a set of small game points with these...Thanks!!!