Author Topic: Bad first try. Second try?  (Read 2688 times)

Offline DiGi

Bad first try. Second try?
« on: January 03, 2011, 06:36:53 pm »
Well, the first try at billeting went bad. The two pieces are not very even. I glued them any way, thinking that I will still continue on with the bow bcause I still will learn something. For my second try, I don't know if the wood I have is good for a stave. Again I would have to billet. The dimensions of the two pieces of wood are
33" x 1.5" x 1.5" and 36" x 1 & 3/8" x 1 & 3/8". Is this too small?

Offline Frode

Re: Bad first try. Second try?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 06:53:20 pm »
Can you post some pictures?  That would help, both with the original pair, and the new ones.
Frode
If it doesn't rap the lintel, it might not be a longbow.

Offline DiGi

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 07:05:16 pm »
For some reason, the little button for adding pictures on this post isn't working on my Mac.

Offline DiGi

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 08:11:48 pm »
/Users/frogger157/Desktop/Pages/1.html

Offline DiGi

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 08:12:18 pm »
can you see this?

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 08:35:28 pm »
What kind of joint pattern did you use for the billets? Also what glue?
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Grunt

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 08:49:14 pm »
If you have a Mac email the photos to yourself and size them small. Drag them out of email onto the desktop and post them from there. Good luck.

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 09:06:22 pm »
Di Gi, let me suggest something,if you have never made a bow go over to Poorfolksbows  and start with Sam Harpers red oak buildalong.Thats what I did and I not only learned alot but got my first bow that still shoots nicely today. During your build still ask alot of questions,I think it will help you.    Rick ;)
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline DiGi

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 09:18:49 pm »
Sweet Rick thanks! I'm trying the email thing now. I used "z" joint and elmers wood glue

Offline DiGi

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 09:23:14 pm »
Here is the botch up job of billets I made (if you can call them that).

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 09:25:52 pm »
Nope,,use tightbond 2 or tightbond 3
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline Frode

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 09:55:37 pm »
DiGi,
The address didn't work, but I see the reposted pic.  Is that with the glue in place?  If you can tease those two apart, I think you could tighten up that joint and go again with Titebond II or III.  But before that, what Rick said about Poorfolks bows.  That's how I got started too, that and Jawges site (see in How To's and Buildalongs, very first thread, I think), and lot's of help from the good folks here!
Frode
If it doesn't rap the lintel, it might not be a longbow.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2011, 10:10:27 pm »
I started with Sam's wesite also, but I honestly think you'll do better with the feedback that you'll receive here.  George's site is tremendous for starters. 
I honestly think to start with the billet bow is going to be awful difficult and liable to take some wind from your sails.
Stick with simplicity to start.  After all, the simplest tools are usually the most effective and probably the most enjoyable when all is said and done.
1’—>1’

Offline DiGi

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2011, 10:22:58 pm »
Yeah, now I think that I'll leave this for later. I'll just have to wait until wednesday then for my big wood buy. Is there any good beginner wood to try out? I'm going to try to get a bunch (if not too expensive) of different types to try out. When I go shopping, what should the thinest piece of wood I get be? If I'm not being clear, how thick do I need the bow at the least to make a decent bow? Also I need to make a tiller. How do I do so?

Offline Parnell

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2011, 10:32:20 pm »
I wrote a long post on your other thread.  I'd look for 4/4 (four quarter-one inch) or greater 5/4 or 6/4 thick hickory boards with straight grain that can be used for the bows back.  If the board is say 6 inches wide and at least 6 feet long, you could potentially make a go at several bows.  There are lots of ways to make a tillering system.  Does George's site address this?
Keep posting and asking questions.
1’—>1’