Author Topic: Hickory pyramid bow  (Read 5248 times)

Offline wvarcher

Hickory pyramid bow
« on: January 06, 2011, 10:38:35 pm »
     This is my second attempt at making a pyramid bow. 66-inch tt.  50lbs @ 27-inches.  2-inches wide at the fades tapering straight to 1/2 inch tips.  The top limb is 1.5 inches longer than the bl.  I like this bow a lot even though it has 2-inches of string-follow in the tl and just over 1.5 inches in the bl.  It shoot great!  Balances well in the hand.  Just wondering if the tiller is off or what changes could/should be made?  Oh, the top l. is on the right.  Thanks for looking and any advice.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 07:59:15 am by wvarcher »

Offline n2huntn

• jeff_smith13@hotmail.com ROLL TIDE !
Re: Hickory pyramid bow
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 11:03:26 pm »
 Right limb looks flat out of the fade almost a hinge. But then again its hard to tell looking at it on this phone.
Jeff
Genesis 27: 3

Offline wvarcher

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 11:08:36 pm »
Thanks, Jeff.  That's the kinda feedback i'm looking for.

Offline Jesse

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 11:18:24 pm »
Good job. Nice looking bow. If you want critique it Looks like its bending a little hard out of the right fade to me :)
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline wvarcher

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 11:52:11 pm »
Jesse, so, i should remove wood from the outer 2/3rds of the right limb?  Are both outer limbs too stiff? 

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 12:01:57 am »
It's done. Looks great. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline wvarcher

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 12:07:11 am »
Howdy George.  Always appreciate your comments

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 12:09:40 am »
this ones shooting enjoy it and build another !. your getting a lil too much bend out of the fades and that will exagerate the set. you know the old a little here ends up being a lot there ( shown at limb tips). other than that great bow and some set makes a really great shooting bow!!

Offline wvarcher

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, 12:34:39 am »
this ones shooting enjoy it and build another !. your getting a lil too much bend out of the fades and that will exagerate the set. you know the old a little here ends up being a lot there ( shown at limb tips). other than that great bow and some set makes a really great shooting bow!!
     Hi, Ken.  I don't mind string-follow in my bows,but anything over 1.5" causes me to worry a bit.  I'll seal and stain this bow.  it's a keeper.

Offline adb

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2011, 01:38:29 am »
Yah... shoot the hell out of it, while you're making another!  ;)

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2011, 02:39:07 am »
  Good looking bow. When I first studied it I  didn't even notice that it was bending more in the fade on the right. What caught my eye was the stiff mid/outer limb that is causing the potential excess belly crushing too near the fades. I agree with everyone else that you could probably stop right now and have a shootable bow. I  just think there is also the possibility that you could  say that it gives you a chance to take your skill to another level, if you haven't already
   What if you lighten up that outer 2/3 and heat treat the whole thing? The more the stiffer otter doesn't do its work the quicker that bow will not be fun to shoot anymore. why not tiller it down a little more and restore some of your lost poundage in the tiller by heat treating and maybe even piking an inch or two. Besides some of the reason for the set can be moisture content.  I don't know if your in a non dry place but hickory loves the desert and low hunidity. Around these parts hickory is moisture finicky and can change with the humidity. I would think heat treatin it would reduce some of your set if you heat it and clamp it into a little reflex to cool. I t might be worth a try. I did it with a hickory pyramid last year that I made for my dad and it improved it noticeably.
  I think that the way we learn is to continue to go deeper. But thats just me. I think your almost there on that bow, just a few corrections and it will be a durable shooter longer term I think. What is the current poundage?
 Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2011, 06:17:34 am »
I agree with what others have said ,but like Jawges if you like it and it is the weight you want I would shoot  the heck out of it ,and make another. They do tend to get more set when you get them bending at the fads.I always save the fads till last for that reason. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline wvarcher

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2011, 08:43:56 am »
  Good looking bow. When I first studied it I  didn't even notice that it was bending more in the fade on the right. What caught my eye was the stiff mid/outer limb that is causing the potential excess belly crushing too near the fades. I agree with everyone else that you could probably stop right now and have a shootable bow. I  just think there is also the possibility that you could  say that it gives you a chance to take your skill to another level, if you haven't already
   What if you lighten up that outer 2/3 and heat treat the whole thing? The more the stiffer otter doesn't do its work the quicker that bow will not be fun to shoot anymore. why not tiller it down a little more and restore some of your lost poundage in the tiller by heat treating and maybe even piking an inch or two. Besides some of the reason for the set can be moisture content.  I don't know if your in a non dry place but hickory loves the desert and low hunidity. Around these parts hickory is moisture finicky and can change with the humidity. I would think heat treatin it would reduce some of your set if you heat it and clamp it into a little reflex to cool. I t might be worth a try. I did it with a hickory pyramid last year that I made for my dad and it improved it noticeably.
  I think that the way we learn is to continue to go deeper. But thats just me. I think your almost there on that bow, just a few corrections and it will be a durable shooter longer term I think. What is the current poundage?
 Danny
  Danny, the bow is 50lbs@ 27".  No doubt, i can still learn from this bow.  I can live with a 45-50 pound bow if i make some tiller changes.  The MC content would be around 9%.  The wood was kept in a hotbox for 1 month b4 i started working on it.   The outer limbs gave me fits from the beginning.  I kept having to remove wood on both outer limbs b/c they were not bending as much as the inner limbs.  I have another piece of Hickory, so i think i will play around with the tiller a bit.  With The next bow  i am going to trap the back and norrow the tips to 3/8ths.   Thanks for commenting
 Pappy, I going to watch the bend right out of the handle more closely when i make another one.  When i look down the limbs, i see set everywhere.  About 6'' out from either fade and ,boom, the set really increases .  I should have put up an unbraced photo.  batteries went dead in my camera.  Thanks for commenting         

Offline wvarcher

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2011, 10:45:23 pm »
Sidewinder, the bow is 50lbs@ 27-inches.

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2011, 11:01:59 am »
Wv   you do what you think best. I get a little wordsy sometimes. Don't mind me none.  50@27 will do the trick.  Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God