Author Topic: In Progress Medieval-style Crossbow  (Read 70749 times)

Offline Dane

Re: In Progress Medieval-style Crossbow
« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2011, 02:53:31 am »
The irony is so thick you can slice it and serve it for breakfast. If they were going to come get me, they would have a couple of years ago when the local paper ran a feature story about a Roman event I was hosting at my gun club. In it, I discussed my activities in my shop / garage.

My nosy next door neighboor, since deceased, also knew about the 100-lb. WWII bomb I have hanging over my desk when it was delivered, so I guess all that is fine as long as I dont make a slingshot or a blow gun. :)

Or accidentaly call 9-1-1. Never do that. :)

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline okiecountryboy

« Reply #61 on: January 24, 2011, 08:21:37 am »
Dane
I have sooo much enjoyed this thread. Can't wait to see more pics...Highly informative.
I know we are not to talk politics ( not directly anyway ), BUT....I do believe that if the PA community ever all moved into one geographic area.....WELL, I believe a new state would be born ;D ;) ;D.
Just kidding...I think. ::) >:D

Anyway, back to the subject at hand. Dane, this thread IS more or less a tutorial, but, I and am sure others would appreciate a complete HOW-TO on your detailed "start to finish" on this project. You got a winner here.

Great Job
and God Bless

Ron

God, honor, country, bows, and guns.

Offline Dane

« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2011, 08:43:47 am »
The State of PA is good, :)

Thanks, Ron. I do intent to create a very detailed build-along once the crossbow is finished and shooting, with video, more history of the crossbow, showcasing the work of others, etc. I really do appreciate your words and interest, and those of other who have contributed to this thread. I wasn't sure if a crossbow was even something appropriate for PA, so I am glad too that this topic had remained alive.

Dane

Offline cracker

« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2011, 08:44:55 am »
I've really enjoyed it too I can hardly wait for the nest installment.
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #64 on: January 24, 2011, 08:59:59 pm »
just a opinion, but i saw we have all PA members take over RI and make a hunting fishing bowmakeing paradise
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline okiecountryboy

« Reply #65 on: February 01, 2011, 12:52:23 am »
just a opinion, but i saw we have all PA members take over RI and make a hunting fishing bowmakeing paradise

DITTO>>>DITTO>>>DITTO!!!
Did I mention that would be a great idea!  DITTO...OOPS already said that...
JMO Col would be nice. It may be land-locked, but the dear, elk, and some good fishin are available. Moose too.
Just got to watch those bear up in the higher parts of the primitives.....Personal experience ;)

God Bless
Ron

Offline Dane

« Reply #66 on: February 01, 2011, 10:32:03 am »
Choose a state where the food is great, like New Mexico, :) And not too much snow.

Quick update. I got my pound can of Kasenet, which is a surface hardening compound. I have to heat the metal parts (sear bolt and tickler) cherry red, then coat that area with this stuff, then reheat and quench in clearn water. There is way too much snow (4 feet or so) outside, so I have to wait a bit to do it outside.

The plug is cut and just has to be glued in, then shaped and sanded to match the contour of the tiller. Later, I will make lock plates out of rawhide or wood, so the plug is effectively hidden.

The biggie is of course waiting to get my prod and tickler, grrrr. I hope those come soon, as I pretty much can't do much more work until I get those parts. So, I am working on a Neolithic bow replica, some atlatls, an ash table for the outside deck, and other stuff. I wish I could post more on progress, but am in this holding pattern for now. I also picked up some steel shelving and will spend some snowbound time reconfiguring the shop area. Part of me wants to do some carving on the tiller, but since I have never really done any serious carving, it would be probably ill advised at this point. :)

Dane

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #67 on: February 01, 2011, 01:06:42 pm »

DITTO>>>DITTO>>>DITTO!!!
JMO Col would be nice. It may be land-locked, but the dear, elk, and some good fishin are available. Moose too.
Just got to watch those bear up in the higher parts of the primitives.....Personal experience ;)

God Bless
Ron
[/quote]

insytead of that i say we take all of new newengland, and northern newyork, we would have access to the great lakes, and the Atlantic, we also got some moose and too many deer and the fishing..... don't even get me started about the fishing!

Offline okiecountryboy

« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2011, 11:15:37 pm »

DITTO>>>DITTO>>>DITTO!!!

God Bless
Ron

insytead of that i say we take all of new newengland, and northern newyork, we would have access to the great lakes, and the Atlantic, we also got some moose and too many deer and the fishing..... don't even get me started about the fishing!

Dane pardon the levity, But ;D
Now that we have a location...Need a plan. Maybe even a pamphlet that Homeland Security could read and learn from ::) ;D

Dane
When will we be gettin more pics?
Ron
[/quote]

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2011, 11:20:49 pm »
o common that would ruin the surprise, now what fun would that be?

Offline okiecountryboy

« Reply #70 on: February 03, 2011, 11:30:38 pm »
fishfinder
You are one sick pup...I like that! >:D

Ron

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #71 on: February 04, 2011, 12:38:33 am »
no im pretty healthy it is the rest of the world that is sick! \m/ >:D\m/
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 12:47:51 am by fishfinder401 »

Offline Dane

« Reply #72 on: February 13, 2011, 08:57:35 am »
Since I live in New England, if we take that over, I want at least a barony, and lots of serfs to work my land and clean the castle.

So, not too much has been done on my little monster, as I am still (grrrrr) waiting on the prod, sturrup and tickler. I did finally get the plug glued in and sanded down. The glue line is not perfect, but doesn't have to be, as it will be covered with a lock plate on the side, and the top of the tiller will be covered with the holly wood plating.

And alas, that is all I have to report for now. I'm going to wait to heat treat the rolling nut sear and the tickler at the same time, so nothing to say on that front. All the rest should go farily quickly once I get those parts, as I really want to get this project done and kill some foam deer and paper targets.

Baron Dane

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #73 on: February 13, 2011, 02:52:56 pm »
how about we run it as co kings, although that would just lead to a power stuggle, hopefully your project isn't dune by then >:D

Offline Dane

« Reply #74 on: May 14, 2011, 12:54:07 pm »
I can’t believe almost 3 months has gone by since I last posted. Life got in the way, but mostly, it took the company who made my prod (bow) a very long time to get my order to me. So, sorry for the long delay for anyone following this topic.

I decided that I wanted to build a new tiller (stock in crossbow / arbalest terminology - fun with new words). The first one I was pleased with, but not so pleased when I realized how much of a pain it was to chisel in the tickler (trigger) channel for a fully-carved tiller. I had enough of that cherry live edge plank left over to make a second tiller, so that is what I did. After milling two pieces to the correct dimensions (about 3.5" x 1.5" x 36"), I measured and set where I wanted the rolling nut socket to be, and drilled the socket holes in each half of the tiller using a drill press and a 1.25” Forstner bit.