Author Topic: "Bakfickan", my handy knife and leather cutter.  (Read 3809 times)

Offline bobnewboy

• https://www.flickr.com/photos/bob_d14/
    • The Company of Sixty Field Archers
"Bakfickan", my handy knife and leather cutter.
« on: January 09, 2011, 08:49:21 am »
Hi Guys,

As mentioned in another thread, I have been making a few knives since the weather here in the UK turned really bad and my bowmaking has had to go on hold (I am a back garden bowyer like Stan!).  This one, which I've nicknamed "Bakfickan" (back pocket in Swedish), is made from a swedish ball bearing steel damascus blade that was given to me as a birthday present by my other half last year.  The blade is small (approx 30mm long by 11mm wide, 1 and a fifth inches by a half inch)), but very hard and sharp.  The handle is a dyed piece of curly grained birch, dyed with teak woodstain and then sanded back, topped and tailed with bleached bone caps.  The overall finish is a couple of coats of hard floor varnish, the same as I use on my arrows.

The sheath is a piece of 3mm veg tanned leather, wet formed and stitched so that it shrinks to size, in a scandinavian style with a little 'foot' and drain.  I didnt bother with a belt attachment because the whole knife in the sheath is only about 150mm/6 inches long.  The sheath was then dyed twice with Fiebing's dark brown leather dye and burnished with a bone folder.  Final finish is brown boot polish and elbow grease  ;D

Pictures from my windowsill, and in my baby Osage tree (4 years old).  Due to its handy size and very sharp blade, this knife is now my leather cutter and skive.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 08:54:18 am by bobnewboy »
"The Englishman takes great pride in his liberty. He values this gift more than all the joys of life, and would sacrifice everything to retain it. The populace would have you understand there is no country in the world where such perfect freedom can be enjoyed, as in England!" Frenchman, London 1719

Offline bobnewboy

• https://www.flickr.com/photos/bob_d14/
    • The Company of Sixty Field Archers
Re: "Bakfickan", my handy knife and leather cutter.
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 08:51:57 am »
..couple more..
"The Englishman takes great pride in his liberty. He values this gift more than all the joys of life, and would sacrifice everything to retain it. The populace would have you understand there is no country in the world where such perfect freedom can be enjoyed, as in England!" Frenchman, London 1719

Offline jthompson1995

• Parkville, MD
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 08:58:15 am »
That looks sweet! I can think of lots of uses for a small knife like that. Of course now my "things to make" list just got a little longer.
A man who works with his hands is a laborer, a man who works with his hands and his mind is a craftsman, but a man who works with his hands, his mind and his heart is an artist. - Louis Nizer (1902-1994)

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 01:05:35 pm »
I like that knife. It would probably make a nice detail knife for wood carving. good job
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 06:24:19 pm »
Looks handy!
Frank from Germany...

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 10:18:49 pm »
 Very nice. Much prettier than the tools I make for myself.  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 08:13:36 am »
Beautiful knife,handle is sweet and the blade is even sweeter. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Autumnbear

• My drum site
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 02:27:00 am »
 I agree with Pappy, really cool. That blade is just awesome!
"WHY DON'T WE LIBERATE, THESE UNITED STATES WE'RE THE ONES WHO NEED IT THE WORST
LET THE REST OF THE WORLD HELP US FOR A CHANGE AND REBUILD AMERICA FIRST"--MERLE HAGGARD

CLEAN AND SOBER AND PROUD OF IT HOSS!!!

Offline ohma

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2011, 03:18:01 pm »
very nice, and looks to be very well crafted.
if your not dead you are getting older so get out and shoot some arrows.