Author Topic: WArbow making day  (Read 8899 times)

stevesjem

WArbow making day
« on: May 10, 2007, 01:41:43 pm »
Just thought some of you may like to read a testimonial written by Nick Ashley on a Warbow making day i ran, i will be running one of these days each month, so anyone wishing to have a go at making their own warbow can contact me.

Cheers

Steve

http://www.englishwarbow.com/bow-making.html

ratty

Re: WArbow making day
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 01:48:57 pm »
excellent :)

i think i will be saving my pennys, for one of those days ;D
« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 01:51:42 pm by ratty »

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 05:30:09 pm »
Would love to take a class with ya Steve but getting to England will be out of my reach or a while. You mentioned in the article that you were using laminates. Could you go into a little more detail about that? I was wondering what order they went in from back to belly and about what thickness they should be for heavier weight bows. Also, is the hickory backing edge biased or done some other way? I think I may try to build one myself when I get some time.

Thanks

David T
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

SimonUK

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 06:08:13 pm »
Sounds like an excellent course. I just wish I could make a bow in 2 days.

Offline Heiner

• Franco Flemish Contingent
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 07:26:15 pm »
Nice article indeed! Would be great to take such a course as well...

Great work,
Heiner
« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 02:45:02 am by FrancoFlemish »
Institio regressum significat.

stevesjem

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 08:32:44 pm »
Would love to take a class with ya Steve but getting to England will be out of my reach or a while. You mentioned in the article that you were using laminates. Could you go into a little more detail about that? I was wondering what order they went in from back to belly and about what thickness they should be for heavier weight bows. Also, is the hickory backing edge biased or done some other way? I think I may try to build one myself when I get some time.

Thanks

David T

Hi David
These were all different laminates as each was going for a different weight, The lightest was Hickory Back (Edge grain), Masarandubu core (10mm), and Lemonwood belly (20mm) so the total stave was about 35mm deep by 35mm wide to start with.
The next was Hick/Greenheart/Lemonwood (similar dimensions).
Then Hickory/Yew/Lemonwood
Finally Hickory/Yew/Greenheart/Lemonwood

Cheers

Steve

Offline Stonedog

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 08:52:09 pm »
I am soooo jealous!  Out here in the middle of nowhere Kentucky.....trad archers are few and far between to begin with....much less a weirdo like me in linen and wool....carrying a longbow......and wearing turnshoes.....

Nobody that I know of hunts with trad gear like myself.

Even look at that workshop! 
Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.

-Aiel Saying

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2007, 08:53:59 pm »
Thanks Steve!

Cant get Lemonwood easily here in the states since most of its comming from Cuba. Know of a good substitute for Lemonwood?

David
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline heavybow

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2007, 09:18:49 am »
Thats great i see nick moving up higher in draw weight by looking at his smile. Steve great work. marlon

stevesjem

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2007, 02:08:16 pm »
Thanks Steve!

Cant get Lemonwood easily here in the states since most of its comming from Cuba. Know of a good substitute for Lemonwood?

David

Hi David
A good substitute for Lemonwood is Costello Box wood.

Cheers

Steve

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2007, 04:08:56 pm »
Thanks again Steve I will look for the Boxwood and try it out.

Bowbound

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2008, 02:46:10 pm »
Hi Steve,

I was looking through the previous postings and found this. Well... I'm Uk based too, about 30mins from where you are, i am in worcestershire so i may contact you sometime about one of these events to come along. They sound great.

stevesjem

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2008, 11:04:27 am »
Hi Steve,

I was looking through the previous postings and found this. Well... I'm Uk based too, about 30mins from where you are, i am in worcestershire so i may contact you sometime about one of these events to come along. They sound great.

You would be very welcome.

Cheers

Steve

Bowbound

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2008, 06:14:02 am »
Hi Steve,

You would be very welcome.

Cheers

Steve

Do you have any coming up soon, in fact in the week that there is next a bank holiday at the end of may beginning of june?

stevesjem

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2008, 06:15:35 am »
I am running 1 on the 9th/10th June and also 14th/15th June, after that it is 12th/13th July.

Let me know, it would be good to see you.

Cheers

Steve