Author Topic: Another Vine Maple Bow  (Read 11216 times)

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
Another Vine Maple Bow
« on: January 11, 2011, 12:39:42 am »
Ok so here is a Vine Maple bow I just called good and finished. I havent weight it to see what its pulling yet because im loaning out my scale ??? But its 55 1/2 ntn, draw length is 24" and the weight is something heavy! well for me im weak lol I was struggling to hold it at full draw for pictures but I hope to work into it. I threw in a pic of my wifes full draw as well lol just because she said "you better not post that". The bow took some set not sure how much but I could watch the string getting tight after unstringing it, so I dont know if thats bad or not. The braced picture is bow braced at 5 1/4 " Im not sure if this is a good b.h. but it just felt good when shooting. The bottom limb looks like it has a issue with tiller but it was a little tricky with the way the last foot had a jump of reflex so I did my best and called it good. The bottom limb was pulling about a 1/2" less in distance on the tiller tree grid but I thought that was ok because the bottom limb should be stiffer? right? ??? this is my first serious grip I have done so dont laugh to hard, I usually leave handles bare wood but I have only built a hand full of bows so im still learning and probably always will be lol. I finished the bow with a Minwax (driftwood) stain and followed that up with 3 coats of Minwax spar urethane, I think this looks like it will take some harsh weather (Heavy rain) well thanks for looking and feel free to leave any comments or suggestions or anything you want, I enjoy constructive critisicism. I like the way this bow flings sticks so im leaving it as is thank you all you are all the reason this site is such a great place to learn and congregate. Josh Ps sorry about spelling lol
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline ErictheViking

Re: Another Vine Maple Bow
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 01:22:50 am »
that is a really nice bow.  tiller looks great to me and the grip looks like good.  I love vine maple especially all the bumps on the back. good job
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline Keenan

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 01:45:49 am »
Josh I'm very impressed.  That is a very fine bow and your first handle wrap came out great. The tiller is great especially with a lumpy bumpy VM character stave, Congratulations  ;)

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 01:47:15 am »
Tiller looks great. Nice !  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 01:53:30 am »
Thank you all very much I appretiate the complaments and everyone on this sites help. Keenan I was suprised at how it seemed the finish helped with the set issue? but maybe im wrong?. I could literally watch after unstringing the bow the string go from limp to starting to rise in a matter of 60 seconds. It really isnt taking allot of set so im happy but we will see when I shoot it some more, I have only put maybe 100 arrows through it. How many shots before a bow is considered shot in? Thanks again guys
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline aero86

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 01:58:59 am »
looks pretty good!  i like a low brace height myself.  if it doesnt hit my wrist too bad, and the fletches of my arrows clear, im happy.  just my preference.  also, the handle looks awesome!  you should see mine, i just wrap mine with hemp, and thats it! lol
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 05:12:26 am »
Cool ,short bow,very well tillered,looks great and I bet it will spit an arrow. Nice work. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline broketooth

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 09:52:24 am »
very cool vine maple bow. ive had vm before. when you unstring it you could watche the limbs " go back". very springy wood. shoots an arrow hard. your gonna love the way it shoots.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 10:15:02 am »
That is a great looking bow.  I need to try vine maple some day.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 10:37:07 am »
Tough piece of wood.
Well done !!
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2011, 11:28:49 am »
I agree with everyone else. Excellent job on that tough piece of wood. I have a couple VM staves coming in a trade thats in the works. This one get me excited about working them. Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline aaron

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2011, 11:34:22 am »
nice one, josh!
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline n2huntn

• jeff_smith13@hotmail.com ROLL TIDE !
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2011, 03:15:25 pm »
Excellent work all the way around, tiller, grip, and all. I'm a big fan of short bows for hunting and this looks perfect for that.
Jeff
Genesis 27: 3

Offline ohma

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2011, 03:22:11 pm »
that is a great looking bow ,like the charecter and the wrap. like to try some of that vine maple one day.
if your not dead you are getting older so get out and shoot some arrows.

Offline bubby

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2011, 04:13:52 pm »
nouthing to laugh at there, that's a nice bow
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹