Author Topic: Greta “Gar-bow”  (Read 5941 times)

Offline swamp monkey

Greta “Gar-bow”
« on: January 13, 2011, 10:34:17 am »
A co-worker of mine is a champion for Alligator gar.  He loves these cool fish and knows they have had a pathetic PR agent.  So when he asked for a bow I let him know it might take a while (bow maker’s back log) but I would take care of him, and had the gar in my mind.  This bow was a hickory stave that had some damage to the back so I table sawed it to make a board bow.  After tillering, I gave the handle a leather wrap, and began the real work of putting a gar head and skin on the back with pen and ink.
To have fun with him I told him the bow was named Greta and it had meaning.  He had six months to discover the meaning. 
In that frustrating six months he tried anagrams, codes, acronyms, hieroglyphics runes and some other stuff that he likely won’t admit to.  When I finally told him the bow’s full name he grimaced in chagrin and threw me out of his office.   I laughed so hard.  While I was not in the office at the time I am certain he did too. 
Later he must have made peace with that episode as he and I enjoyed a lunch hour shoot.  It feels good to get folks into stickbow archery. It's better with a fun memory like Greta!

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: Greta “Gar-bow”
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 10:52:39 am »
Great story....sweet Bow....
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 01:00:07 pm »
Cool bow, nice design.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline n2huntn

• jeff_smith13@hotmail.com ROLL TIDE !
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 01:33:53 pm »
 Nice on all accounts.
Jeff
Genesis 27: 3

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 02:22:38 pm »
Cool bow and great gesture.   Kenneth(Little John) built a Holmgaard type bow a few years ago that had a gar drawn on it to incorperate the levers at the beak of the gar.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

PeteDavis

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 09:12:55 pm »

She's hot.

PD

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 09:26:45 pm »
That is a good looking bow and a great name.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 05:18:59 am »
Greta “Gar-bow” ...tht's funny!
Nice bow, too.
Frank from Germany...

Offline Steve Milbocker

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 08:29:32 am »
Cool bow. I wonder if you could put real gar skins on? On second thought the ones I encounter here are pretty thick skinned.
I'm no where near as smart as my phone!

Offline cracker

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2011, 08:37:00 am »
Way to go cool bow.
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline Little John

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2011, 08:41:42 am »
Just got to love those gar design bows.
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011, 12:11:02 pm »
Cool bow and great gesture.   Kenneth(Little John) built a Holmgaard type bow a few years ago that had a gar drawn on it to incorperate the levers at the beak of the gar.

is his post still up?

Offline Little John

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2011, 02:36:07 pm »
That post was about 4 years old so I din't know if it could be pulled up or not. It turned out really nice, but I loaned it out and have never seen the bow or person since. I used analine dye for the body, india ink for the scsle lines  I have a premium piece of osage to make an even better one some day.    Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2011, 02:47:55 pm »
That post was about 4 years old so I din't know if it could be pulled up or not. It turned out really nice, but I loaned it out and have never seen the bow or person since. I used analine dye for the body, india ink for the scsle lines  I have a premium piece of osage to make an even better one some day.    Kenneth

Be sure to share the results.  I enjoy seeing what others do.