Author Topic: Seasoning Rivercane??  (Read 3358 times)

Offline BamaHunter01

Seasoning Rivercane??
« on: January 13, 2011, 10:15:09 pm »
How long does Rivercane have to season before bein made into arrows?

Offline artcher1

Re: Seasoning Rivercane??
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 10:32:17 pm »
No seasoning to it. You're basically dealing with weed and not wood, so just dry 'em out good. Generally, they'll dry out enough to start heat straightening within 4-6 weeks. Just be cautious, if they still have to much moisture still left in them then you can get some steam buildup which can split your shaft.........Art

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 12:04:31 am »
I generally wait a month to 6 weeks like Art said. I am doing a little experiment with speed drying. I cut 6 canes today, brought them in the house until they got to room temp then stuck them under my wood stove. I have done a little hand straightening and will continue through the experiment and see how long it takes them to dry.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 11:07:48 pm »
I scrape off the outer layer of my cane before I make arrows from it.  The "skin" is waterproof so cane can stay wet for quite some time.  I've seen it lose weight even after a year of seasoning.

Others have had some luck force-drying cane with heat.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 01:43:18 am »
I did a little experiment with quick drying cane. In 2 1/2 days under my wood stove fresh cut hill cane was ready for straightening and another day it is ready to make an arrow.   Now! this is drying and not curing. This cane will cure for another year. I will keep working it into an arrow and see if it stays straight and how it shoots.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline artcher1

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 08:14:12 am »
I found that to be true also Pat. You can quick dry most materails and makeup arrows but even cane works better if one gives it more time. That's the main reason (except for reorienting the fletch) I just tie/wrap the fletching on my arrows. Generally, if these type arrows are going to crook, it's usually at their weakest end. If that happens, I just pop the fletching off, straighten, and wrap again...........Art

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 02:02:39 pm »
Pat- how much does cane shrink in the drying process, if any?  If I cut the ends at 3\8", will it be the same after a month?  Some of mine seamed to shrink more than others and I'm thinking they were first year shoots ???
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 02:08:30 pm »
Jeff they do shrink but not that much. I've never measured. The ones that did shrink a lot are probably first year immature growth. They should also have longitudinal wrinkles and thinner walls.

Offline ossabaw

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 12:15:52 am »
Hey. i am new to this forum but not to making archery gear.  I cut my cane over length, tie in bundles and dry them in the intake duct of my central heat system.  I just take out the filter and place the bundles inside.  It takes a few weeks but is passive, out of sight out of mind.  It is not in my way in my studio.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 01:01:30 am »
Welcome Ossabaw. Sounds like a good way to cure cane and hardwood shoots. Looking forward to seeing some of your goodies.
 Does your user name reflect your location? I grew up in Savannah and lived in Bluffton SC for a while too before moving to the NC mountains.

Offline ossabaw

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 08:49:18 pm »
Yes. I live in Macon but hunt the barrier islands any chance I get.  You live in some beautiful country.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 11:52:43 pm »
We've been here of 20 years and love it!  8)  I had the chance to hunt Blackbeard a few times. What a cool place to hunt. Never hunted Ossabaw but have friends that do almost each year.