Author Topic: So I violated a pin knot  (Read 1889 times)

Offline jonathan creason

So I violated a pin knot
« on: January 14, 2011, 12:46:41 pm »
I was working on an osage stave the other day, trying to remove the sapwood and chase a ring.  There was one knot that I was concentrating on, and I didn't notice the pin knot hidden under a ring or two of sapwood.  I managed to scalp it pretty dang good, so now what do I do?  Find the center ring in the knot, and work out from there?
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline Dean Marlow

Re: So I violated a pin knot
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 01:13:43 pm »
Was you to the ring you wanted on the back? If you wasn't you may still be o.k. if you have to take a few rings off any way. Dean

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 01:37:10 pm »
pics would help!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 10:32:41 pm »
   If it's not on a working part super glue it when you get to tillering. Sand finish your bow then resuper glue. Or take it on down to the exsposed ring.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 10:49:09 pm »
I need to do some measuring to see how the bow is going to lay.  It may be right at the tip, so I could keep it from working.  The stave is wide enough to split in two, but both of these knots are right in the middle on each end and I'm afraid the split would go squirrely trying to go around them.  I have thought about using the circular saw like Billy showed to try to keep the split dead center.  If I was able to do that the knot wouldn't be an issue (and I would have 2 staves to screw up).

I'll take some pics tomorrow.  Hoping to work on it a little anyway.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline bcbull

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 02:25:48 am »
id   do as dean says get a marker mark the knot so ya know where it s at go down to the next best ring and dont get it twice   ur still good i think  brock

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 08:32:21 am »
           You could be all right super glue it and try and see.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2011, 09:24:11 am »
Remember you have to follow the lateral or vertical grain with your center line. If the grain goes "squirrily" so should your line. Check this.
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/layout.html
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline wodpow

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2011, 11:43:26 pm »
I only get worried when they fall in the working limb area the rings in the bulls eye tells how many rings have lost support before and after that knot if you have two rings and a core you need to remove two rings so you only have the knot core  It all depends how fast the wood comes up on the knot a high nipple or knot means the growth ring is at a steep angle when it hit the knot and could be a splinter point.