Author Topic: Torah is growing up  (Read 3946 times)

Offline Keenan

Torah is growing up
« on: January 21, 2011, 08:18:11 pm »
 As many of you know raising a pup is like raising a child. Torah is now about 18 weeks old and well into her training. ::) I'm not sure who is training who. She is by far the smartest pup I've ever had, but also the most curious, and mischievous as well. Her name means "To hit the mark"  and she certainly is living up to her name but at times, I've wanted to call her "Marley"

Offline NTD

Re: Torah is growing up
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 08:20:35 pm »
Nice looking Pup Keenan.  She looks like she's from working lines.  What are your plans for her?
Nate Danforth

Offline Keenan

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 08:39:01 pm »
Your right Nate. She is pure bred German shepherd with East German DDR blood lines. Her dad is level 3 shutzhund and most of her older siblings are in service areas for search and rescue, police, and cadaver services. We are working more toward the search and rescue and mostly agility at this point.

Offline NTD

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 09:03:06 pm »
Dang, am I good or what ;D  Have fun with the SAR, it's a lot of work but the rewards seem well worth it.  I hope you keep us posted on her progress.
Nate Danforth

Offline n2huntn

• jeff_smith13@hotmail.com ROLL TIDE !
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 09:13:37 pm »
DDR is some seroius stuff. Lots of drive and hit the sleeve real hard. Ever handled a working dog? Looks good, keep us posted.
Jeff
Genesis 27: 3

Offline Keenan

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 09:21:39 pm »
Yea Jeff, Lulyn and I were just talking about how strong her bite is. Strongest I've ever felt in a pup. Not sure if we will do the shutzhund. She is very strong willed and already showing some strong protective traits. Starting some socialization training in February

Offline NTD

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 09:24:39 pm »
I've got a Frech Linen Puppy Sleeve if ya need one, course by the looks of her she might have outgrown it already.  Ever looked into ring sport Keenan.  Mondio ring is some pretty amazing stuff.  Makes Schutzhund look like preschool. ;D  We have a club up and coming here, it's a fun crowd too without much of the politics that surroung SCH.
Nate Danforth

Offline Keenan

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 10:34:48 pm »
I've got a Frech Linen Puppy Sleeve if ya need one, course by the looks of her she might have outgrown it already.  Ever looked into ring sport Keenan.  Mondio ring is some pretty amazing stuff.  Makes Schutzhund look like preschool. ;D  We have a club up and coming here, it's a fun crowd too without much of the politics that surroung SCH.
;D  Just want a good guard dog for our place, but don't want to worry about being sued! ::)  she is already great and with our other shepherd and rotwiller someone would be a fool to try to get to our shop or house without an invite. ;D

I agree about the political crap ::) Thats one reason we may not do the Schutzhund.

Offline NTD

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2011, 10:43:30 pm »
I understand, nothing wrong with SAR if she has the temperament for it :)
Nate Danforth

Offline Jesse

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011, 10:59:28 pm »
Awesome looking pup Keenan. NTD beat me to it. I was gonna say East German. That sable coat gave it away. Very high drive dogs. Almost too smart though lol. I had one with full east German bloodlines and now I have a mix of east and west German lines. He is a little over 2 years old now. If your interested in breeding her in the future these 2 would make some nice pups. ;D  This is "Tank"

"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline NTD

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2011, 11:12:53 pm »
 :o  Gosh it does my heart good to see real GSD's ;D ;D ;D  Look at those hips!!!

If ya breed them I want a pup ;D
Nate Danforth

Offline Keenan

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2011, 11:17:57 pm »
Actually Jesse we will be breeding her in a couple years.  He is a good looking guy.  Nice color and good strong features. I agree they might make a good pair. We will have to do so talking in a few years. The hips do look good, Are his blood lines real clean with no hip or allergy issues?

Offline Keenan

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2011, 11:37:04 pm »
Hi Jesse,
This is LuLyn, Keenan's wife. I have had a love of GSD"s for quite a long time and have been blessed with several awesome dogs. Your dog Tank is surely a magnificant fellow. My first amazing dog, Helmut, was an import with all west german lines. He was the most regal, smart and loyal fella, however he was so mellow that he didn't have a strong bite drive.  But he was so awesome looking he was very intimidating at sight only.I only dabbelled a little in the schutzhund area. I was unable to continue at that time in my life, but I do know very well of the "attitude" that goes along with this group. I have considered sport ring, however there is no outlet for that here in Central Oregon. For now, we are just setting the foundation for our beautiful headstrong girl. Right now, Keenan is the main training man and it is fun to watch him and Torah work together. It is his first real GSD training experience. Ha! ha! ;)
Is Tank registered and hip certified? He sure is awesome looking, how is his temperment?  It is also wonderful to share with fellow GSD lovers, as they are the best dogs in the world. Thanks for sharing!! Maybe in 2 years we can get together. :)  Blessings, LuLyn

Offline NTD

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2011, 11:46:50 pm »
Lulyn, Helmut...any chance you named him after Helmut Raiser? ;D
Nate Danforth

Offline Jesse

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2011, 11:56:06 pm »
Actually Jesse we will be breeding her in a couple years.  He is a good looking guy.  Nice color and good strong features. I agree they might make a good pair. We will have to do so talking in a few years. The hips do look good, Are his blood lines real clean with no hip or allergy issues?
Yes I have his pedigree. Really clean lines and his dad was OFA excellent and nothing in the past bellow good for hips. He is at the age now where he can be tested and I expect them to be excellent as well. Temperament is another quality he has. He isn't afraid of anything but yet I would trust him with a newborn baby.
We want to breed him but have not really pursued it yet. People around here seem to be more interested in the over sized lines with the slanted backs for some reason ???.  We would like to breed him also because too many people are breeding dogs with poor temperament and bad structure. . He loves to work and I started him in Shutzhund classes but backed off when it got to the bite work.  I just wasn't sure I wanted him to be trained that way seeing he is really just a pet and all I expect is that he barks when people come on the property which he does :) And then he runs up to them and wants to play fetch ;D People are scared for only a few moments  ;D If I had one complaint about him it would be that he is almost too nice :) but he knows when something isn't quite right and lets it be known ;)
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark