Author Topic: Pinewood derby  (Read 3402 times)

Offline Postman

Pinewood derby
« on: January 26, 2011, 10:39:48 pm »
My Boy Mike really got into using a drawknife a few weeks back.A bit too much, in fact. We put some cool raised fenders on his car with a bench grinder, but he put it back in the vise and ripped 'em off. :D  he did a pretty good job with the rasp, too.  I helped him tape it, but he did most of the spray painting himself. He tried chewing on some osage the other day, and got really mad when it didn't cut like pine.  ;D
We did OK at the derby, but I didn't have time to fuss with the wheels as much as I wanted. The whole process was quite a blast, though.
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline Postman

Re: Pinewood derby
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 10:54:41 pm »
Here's a couple of cool cars from the race. i like the  red Starsky and Hutch Torino best - my buddy used to deliver pizzas in one just like it. Wish i took more time to focus the hot rod pic, it was amazing, but I wound up keeping tabs on about 25 scouts. It was like herding cats.

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 11:12:53 pm »
good looking car if i remember tomorrow il post my old cars from the late 80early 90s we made a drilling rig and a water truck the water truck was super fast :) lol i miss those days as a kid but il have a boy one day and do it all over again ttyl

sterling
"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 10:42:13 am »
Looks like a good time. I sure miss being the Cub Master and doing pine wood derby with the boys.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Stoker

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 10:43:58 am »
Cool..I let my son build his own car.It was a little rough but he was only 5 and we did ok at the derby.
Some how you can tell where dad really helped >:D But they are nice to look at 8)
It's great to see you and your son having a good time together.They grow fast 16yrs since my last derby.
Thanks for sharing
Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Dane

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 11:20:54 am »
I remember my car. It was gold, had green metallic flames, and was totally awesome. It looked a bit like the Mach V, only way cooler. :) I still distinctly remember working on the car with my dad at the old workbench we had in the garage, with this gigantic (to me) machinist's vice and the light overhead with a baked enamal shade. The window had been missing glass for decades, and looked directly onto the orange tree growing by the garage. Since it was Southern California, it wasn't cold enough to worry about replacing the glass, so that never got done.

I still miss that bench and the garage, and the orange tree. I'd give a lot to buy it and bring it back to MA and use it again. 

Thanks for bringing back those memories.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline Parnell

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 11:21:42 am »
Very cool.  I have such great memories of the Pinewood Derby.  Got to take the county title in my last year!  It's all about sanding those nails super smooth!
Great stuff!
1’—>1’

Offline skyarrow

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 10:38:46 pm »
here are my old cars my dad helped alot on the rig and water truck but i did most of the work on the green car. i think my favorite thing in cub-scouts was the rain gutter regatta  ttyl

sterling

Offline Stoker

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 10:42:25 am »
Dat's cool
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Postman

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2011, 03:25:52 pm »
wow - that driller is neat! Like the green car too....Might have to swipe that idea next year! ;)

Offline skyarrow

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2011, 12:34:22 am »
wow - that driller is neat! Like the green car too....Might have to swipe that idea next year! ;)
np take what ever you want :)