Author Topic: Flint run! kinda...  (Read 5111 times)

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Flint run! kinda...
« on: January 28, 2011, 09:33:37 pm »
I happen to know about this little creek running under interstate 35 just north of Austin in Salado, TX - hint ;). If you live within a 100 mile radius you better get there cause the pickens are good :). Apparently they had a flood down there last year and scrambled that creek up real good. I stopped in there a time or two before and knew there was flint but since the flood - damn! I'm finding a mix of perd, edwards, ameoba, Gtown lookin stuff - all kinds of stuff. I haven't been doing much knapping the last few years but still always collect when it's available. I have to say: This is the easiest picking I've ever done...
    I don't think there's any kind of city ordinance there about picking minerals or anything (and it is right there in town) but I had a city cop drive by while I was hauling rock out and he waved his approval at me ;D, so I assume it's ok.
    This stuff seems to spall and core pretty ok raw. A little heat wouldn't hurt but seems to work ok raw - good luck...
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline cowboy

Re: Flint run! kinda...
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 09:35:14 pm »
more
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline cowboy

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 09:36:39 pm »
yup

Offline rileyconcrete

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 11:30:39 pm »
Wow!  That looks like great stuff.  How about sending some of that out here to Idaho?  We dont have anything like that here.

Tell
Tell Riley

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 12:56:24 am »
COOL!
Mililani Hawaii

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011, 01:10:02 am »
There's a very good chance I could be heading to San Antonio with my wife this summer.  Looks like I'll be sending a few flat rate boxes back to NC!
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Lombard

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2011, 01:46:14 am »
Gotta like a haul like that.

Offline JEB

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2011, 09:28:49 am »
Will be staying at an RV Park on 281 near 46 in March.  guess we will have to go for a little drive.  Thanks for the info.

Offline Tower

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2011, 10:10:02 am »
Llano river in Junction TX. excellent flint pedernales, amoeba, tabs Edwards. Just like going to the grocery store.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline cowboy

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2011, 11:58:54 am »
That's what it felt like Tower - grocery shopping ;). I've hit a few of the culverts and ditches out there north of Bracketville around Rock Springs and found a lot of stuff. Haven't tried Junction yet. You guys better hurry! I've hauled out two loads and have seen evidence of others gathering, like little piles of chert here and there in the creekbed ;).

Offline sailordad

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2011, 12:11:56 pm »
man i wish i could just go and pick rock like that  :'(
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Tower

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2011, 12:33:52 pm »
Bare Foot fishing camp in Bend TX. on the Colorado river lots of Edwards, root beer, tan, gray. some amber color, a little white. good stuff. Some of it needs some heat, but if your picky you can leave that stuff behind.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2011, 12:23:31 am »
 Damn, they keep postponing my trip to Texas.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2011, 09:38:11 am »
wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2011, 12:28:41 pm »
 Woo Hoo ....Score !  That's some quality lookin' rock  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington