Author Topic: Nicholson Nock File from bowyers edge?  (Read 2839 times)

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
Nicholson Nock File from bowyers edge?
« on: January 29, 2011, 12:05:58 pm »
About a month and a half ago I ordered one of these from Dean Torges, couple weeks later called him and he said he forgot to ship. Now its been a long time since then so I want to know if there is any where else I can get this same knock file? I used this file and it really cuts nocks well and very quikly, any help would be great.
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline sailordad

Re: Nicholson Nock File from bowyers edge?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 12:08:29 pm »
just go to a tool store,like tools n more or home depot ,meards etc
find your self a small chain saw file
they come in differant sizes,so make sure you get a "small" file

they work great,thats all i use and my nocks arent much wider than the string bundle  ;)
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 12:38:39 pm »
I use a chainsaw file now, it works ok but I really like the way the Nicholson nock file works so thats what I want to move up to.
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Offline jwillis

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 02:39:26 pm »
You can find them at online stores, too, and I bought one, but I really prefer the chainsaw file kit that I got at Home Depot because it cuts finer and slower. It came with a handle, too. Jim

Offline fusizoli

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 03:31:13 pm »
9/64 is perfect for modern strings

Offline Will H

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 10:22:39 pm »
Ive used chainsaw files for a long time but after reading "hunting the osage bow" I really wanted to find a 4" nicholson like Dean uses...This was a long search that ended randomly one day when I went into an old mom and pop hardware store in this little town i was doing a job in. They had 3 in a dusty little box behnd the counter. Needless to say I bought all 3 and really LOVE them! Well worth the search. Good luck bro!
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Grunt

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 11:14:25 pm »
I just communicated with Dean. He is going to be finished hunting in a week or so and will catch up on orders then.
 I like to score the nocks with a hacksaw blade first and then use the Nickolson rasp to rough cut them. I then graduate to the chainsaw file to second cut them and sandpaper to finish them up. The little rasp is good. A lot of woodcarving supply houses carry small round rasps. 

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 11:21:32 pm »
grunt thanks good to know

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 11:43:13 pm »
 I've always used a chainsaw file till I found a small half round file with a rasp on the other end. I would be lost without this little booger. I've never seen one before. I use it to cut the nocks in then clean it up with a chainsaw file.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?