Author Topic: Tribute to man's best friend - Post your dog stories and pictures!  (Read 21091 times)

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
Re: Tribute to man's best friend - Post your dog stories and pictures!
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2011, 01:18:03 am »
That's a great story J.W.  It's amazing the effect that dogs can have on people.

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2011, 12:08:20 am »
I took my buddy for her first swim today.  Since the water outside has about 20 inches of hard stuff on it, we had to find an indoor pool that was dog-friendly.  Found a place where we can swim inside for $10.  Not bad considering the place we took Skully to learn to swim charged us $40 for half an hour...  I felt robbed when I left there.

She took to the water as most Labs do, and was swimming with good form within 5 minutes.  It was funny watching her with the life jacket on, because she would get lazy and just let her hind legs drag behind without kicking them.  After about 15 minutes the jacket came off and she was retrieving her dummy.  I can't wait for summer down by the river!

Offline johnston

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2011, 12:22:35 am »
J.W. , I had a little story to tell til I read yours. 
For most folks a dog like Scully only comes around once if at all in a lifetime.
Appreciate the story.

Lane

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2011, 02:48:07 am »
Hey ScottD,  how did you teach your new dog to remove sinew?  That would have saved me a bunch of time this winter.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline rileyconcrete

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2011, 03:57:59 pm »
Heres a couple of pics.  My german wirehaired pointer and my sone levi. She is 4 yrs. and levi is 16 months now.  Pic was when he was a couple months old.  These dogs are great family dogs, and very protective of their owners.  Oh and they are the best hunters too. ;D   THe other pick is an afternoon hunt here in Idaho, my dog and I, my buddy Reid and his dog.  He is 3/4 wirehair 1/4 shorthair.  Did I mention they are great hunters? LOL. :D

Tell
Tell Riley

Offline johnston

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2011, 02:28:15 pm »
Got one to tell that ain't no fun at all but maybe yall have been through something similar. When my boys left home we inherited their dogs and yeah they were family pets anyway. One came from an "adoption agency" many years ago. Nice itty bitty beagle pup who was rescued on the side of the road with his mama and her litter. This pup was the sole survivor of what was diagnosed as poison ingestion probably anti freeze.I did not want this pup for obvious reasons but my youngest put up a real fight and we brought the sick little beagle home.He was around 4 weeks and would fit in your hand. Could not hold food and we kept him alive with a mixture of Pepto  and milk through an eye dropper.After a time soft food and weekly vet trips became normal and at three months he weighed 10 lbs.We named him Royal Pain and at 1 year he weighed 44 lbs. Our beagle turned out to be a big hound, most likely a Walker.  Two things stayed with him for life, he could never get enough to eat and he purely hated to go to the vet. Got so bad about vet trips that the last time he went we had to literally hog-tie him  to get him in the truck. After that I gave the shots and my wife did the doctoring if he needed it.
  Having a big hound in the house is not without its moments.Growing up, Royal ate a great many expensive items like a land line phone, tennis shoes, a recliner, and one of my wife's handbags. Then came the day he chewed up six inches of an expensive Jeffry recurve. He and I had a serious talk and he never chewed up stuff again.
  Royal eventually got up to 70 lbs. We have a good place for dogs to get out and run but he was not interested. He was a house dog and all he did was eat and sleep.
  And then one day he would not get off his pillow even to eat. Over the next week he managed a few stiff legged trips outside and to his food. We put water next to him and tried to load him for a vet trip but that was not happening. Six months earlier my wife had taken our oldest dog to the vet and old Molly got so excited she had a heart attack and died right there.
  I put a kiddy pool under Royal's bed and for a couple of days the old boy never moved. I called four vets trying to get a house call even if all they did was put him down. No luck. Was not going to let him suffer.Took off a half day intending to carry him outside, tied if need be and then make it quick. My God how I dreaded that! When I got home he was up for the first time in four days. I grabbed a handful of lunch meat and a handgun and led him outside. We talked a minute and I put the rest of the meat in front of him and stepped behind him.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2011, 02:52:01 pm »
That's a good story, johnston.   I can just see those little puppy eyes looking up at you as you fed him with an eyedropper!  Talk about dedicated dog lovers, allowing him to munch purses, tennis shoes, and recliners.  I bet he really appreciated the lap of luxury he landed in!!!  And while there are no happy endings when you tell the whole lifestory of a dog, I am glad you didn't just shift him into the garage and leave him there to finish out the course.  I've never had to give grace to one of my own, but I have done it for other's.  If it didn't hurt I wouldn't like who I had become. 

Wish I could have known your Royal Pain.  I'da liked him a lot.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2011, 07:49:52 pm »
here is a pictures of my mutts on camp trip at a friends gold claim
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2011, 12:21:58 pm »
Gosh, Elktracker!  How did things "pan out"?   >:D
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2011, 01:32:34 pm »
We were running a dredge and slouse boxes, left with a little over an ounce between the three of us in two weeks but it was fun! Gold prices are going up we are gonna have to get back up there ;D
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Grunt

« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2011, 10:41:21 am »
This first pict is of our Border Collie Cleo. She is in the center and has her eye on all of you. That dog was like having two or three dogs at once. Cleo was a major control freak and even managed to pin the cat to the kitchen cabinets by leaning into the cat with her hip. She would sleep at the foot of our bed and if I got up to use the bathroom at night she would growl me back in the bed.
The other dog is Edwina part husky part cattle dog. I've seen Edwina kill a cat, eat a grouse feathers and all, catch rabbits,squirrels,and anything small and eat them all. The only way to get something like a deer head away from Edwina was to trade her for something like a hotdog or hamburger. Both Cleo and Edwina are gone now. It's been four years since I buried Cleo and I am going out back now to dig Edwina's grave.

Offline n2huntn

• jeff_smith13@hotmail.com ROLL TIDE !
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2011, 12:00:00 pm »
Sorry for your loss grunt.
Genesis 27: 3

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2011, 01:23:24 pm »
Sorry to hear that Grunt.  They were beautiful dogs.

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2011, 01:27:33 pm »
Elk- nice dogs.  We just lost our weimeraner.  Great breed!
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2011, 02:18:09 pm »
Sorry to hear about all your losses, not looking forward to that day :'(