Author Topic: Tribute to man's best friend - Post your dog stories and pictures!  (Read 21092 times)

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
It's a shame that so many of us have lost our buddies lately, but I figured maybe it would be good to have a place where we could all share some memorable stories or pictures of our trusty companions, whether they have moved on to a better place, or are still entertaining us with their misadventures.  Feel free to post anything dog-related on this thread.  Let's make it a 30-pager!  ;D

I'd love to start it off, but have some other duties assigned by my better half, so I'll get to that a little later.

Offline HickoryBill

Re: Tribute to man's best friend - Post your dog stories and pictures!
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 06:30:28 pm »
I've only had one dog. He's a 2 year old black lab named Colt. I trained him to be a bird dog(not that he needed much) He's definitely my best friend. Last year I shot 9 grouse and 6 pheasants over him.

"He who hesitates usually misses"
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill
Clarion County Pennsylvania

Offline NTD

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 06:56:11 pm »
I don't think this is too cool, all this talk about dogs on an archery forum ::) >:D ;D

Nate Danforth

Offline sailordad

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 09:47:50 pm »
well im not a dog person,but we did have to put down our cat
member of or family for 17 yrs
he was a black bombay cat
very large cat,very black,very lovable,intelligent,playfull
his name was COLT
i named him after SAMUAL COLT,creater of one of my favorite firearms

i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline NTD

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 09:49:06 pm »
NOT A DOG PERSON??? ??? 

Was 1911 too much of a mouthful there Tim? ;D
Nate Danforth

Offline HickoryBill

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 10:03:10 pm »
Saliordad: That's the same reason I named my dog Colt!!! :D :D :D
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill

Offline sailordad

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 11:31:13 pm »
Saliordad: That's the same reason I named my dog Colt!!! :D :D :D

then its true
great minds do think alike  :D
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 11:35:50 pm »
Nate - Kelly melted when she saw that picture.  Apparently we need another pup now :)

Offline HickoryBill

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2011, 12:03:09 am »
I guess so...  :D ;D :D ;D
Bill Stockdill

Offline HickoryBill

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2011, 12:06:43 am »
Here's one when Colt was a pup, around Christmas.
Bill Stockdill

Offline NTD

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2011, 12:13:07 am »
Nate - Kelly melted when she saw that picture.  Apparently we need another pup now :)

They became fast friends!  Mia still annoys Mackenzie every now and again but she is learning quickly what she can and can't do around Mackenzie.  I'm very happy with this pup.  She is super confident and has a good nose.  Not quite as good a student as my malinois was at her age but still pretty smart.  And yeah I was right about the energy level, she's not even close to being as much a nut as my Malinois LOL

Here's a pic of them cuddling and one of them tearing up a paper towel roll together.

Nate Danforth

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2011, 11:51:26 am »
This is Princess (she came with the name).  She was a rescue dog and our first family pet.  She is pure mutt, but we tell people she is a Canadian Weasel Hound just for fun.  Her bottom jaw sticks out about 1/2" farther than the upper jaw so she has a permanent smile.  She is the sweetest little thing ever.  If anyone is sick, she is right by there side.  If the kids act like they are hurt or crying, she runs up and cuddles with them.  She has a taste for glue.  Once, she found a pack of sticky notes in my daughters room.  She pulled one off at at time and licked the glue off of it.  We found her surrounded by a pile of wet crumpled up sticky notes.  We couldn't get after her because it was hilarious.  She is very smart.  Last fall, I brought both of them inside and a few minutes later she went up to my wife and started yapping and crying, then she ran into the living room.  You could see that she was trying to tell her something.  My wife followed her and there was are other dog standing there with a giant wolf spider on her head.  It must have been on her belly fur when I brought them inside.   

This is the wifes dog, Sophie.  She is a white mini schnauzer.  She isn't the smartest thing, she is one of those dogs that is always going to be a puppy.  She is grouchy and growls when you pet her.  But thankfully, she is like a cuddly little baby to my wife.  She keeps her from wanting a realy baby to cuddle with.

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline NTD

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2011, 09:38:03 pm »
Quick video of Miko showing off a game we play in the back yard.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvO-VQTMBRI
Nate Danforth

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2011, 10:00:06 pm »
That's sweet Nate :)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2011, 12:49:03 am »
My (now ex) wife forced me into bringing a dog home from the local Pound.  She's the color of an old osage bow darkened by plenty of time in the field in the sun.  A mutt of no breed in particular and every dog in general.  I call her a French Canardly.  Canard means duck in French, and her daddy ducked in the yard late one night and not even the French can'ardly guess what breed she comes from.  And it rubs off, too.  Ask me what breed she is and I say with a french accent, "I give up!"

I was having trouble getting her to understand basic commands so off to the local Kennel Club Obedience Classes.  Only mutt in class and graduated top of the class.  Went back a few months later for the second level of Obedience and again the only mutt and top of her class again.  At the suggestion of a trainer I got Scully into Therapy Dog Training and she passed with flying colors on her first test.  We registered with Therapy Dogs, Inc and she was covered by a $3 million dollar insurance policy (I have yet to find an insurance policy that will guarantee I don't bite).

The day we got the Therapy Dog card we stopped by a local nursing home, 2 minutes with the head administrator and the activities director we were invited in to visit.  One of the first people we met came wheeling out of his private room only to start cussing out my dog for poor behavior, being filthy, ugly, and on-and-on!!!  Meanwhile he was stroking her head and her muzzle with gentle hands and staring into her huge brown eyes.  The activity director stood behind the man's wheelchair with tears pouring down her cheeks.  When he finally let Scully go and wheeled off she grabbed me by the arm hard enough to leave marks and telling me in no uncertain terms that we would be back every week.  She explained that this man had stopped speaking three years before and had sunk into a depression that just couldn't be broken, these were his first words in three years. 

Ed and I became great friends over the years.  Scully and I were invited to sit with the family at his funeral.  He told everyone that would listen that I was just taking care of 'his' dog for him. 

She's about 16 now, deaf, milky eyes, and is rapidly losing strength in her back legs.  She can't make it thru a whole nite without a trip outside and I'm scheduling an appointment with the vet to discuss what is soon to come.  No regrets.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.