Author Topic: Help with bow identification  (Read 6237 times)

Grunt

Help with bow identification
« on: February 05, 2011, 08:29:16 pm »
All here is a photo of a short glass bow I picked up at a garage sale for $8.  There is one deer track outline in black with the words Ben Pearson #3360 52"  50#. It shoots nicely.  I am going to use this little bow for spring turkey until I get a short all wood re/de built.

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
Re: Help with bow identification
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 09:19:46 pm »
Not sure what it is other than a BP.  But you sure got a good deal on it.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline sailordad

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 09:32:23 pm »
wait for Mullet to chime in
when it comes to glass bows he pretty much knows it  ;)
youll know if its a good un if he tries to talk ya out of it too  ;D
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline jeffhalfrack

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 09:47:34 pm »
   It's a  Ben  pearson I'm  not sure of  the  model,,,, we  have  one  kicking  around our  club,, it  has  been the  first  bow to  many  people!!!  and  has  made  meat!!  it has  a  place of  Honor at  our  club,,  tune some  arrows to it   you'll  like  that bow good  luck,,  wish I could  find one for  myself  at  that price!  JeffW

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 10:21:02 pm »
I'm not Mullet, but I have owned some Pearson recurves and did a little googling on this one.  It looks like that model Pearson solid glass recurve was first in the 1969 catalog.  It didn't have a catchy name and was just listed as a "Hunting Bow".  Later bows with that model followed by a dash zero were called the Wolverine, that was in the 1978 catalog.  It was made in draw weights of 40 to 55 lbs.  I'm assuming the deer track with the model number were on a label on the lower limb.  I think I remember that on my laminated recurves.  I suspect it was Pearson's logo at the time.  The earliest model should have had an arrow head molded into the plastic grip.  The price for it in the 1969 catalog was $ 16.95.  I'd say you got a good deal. 

George
St Paul, TX

Grunt

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 11:13:58 pm »
George, thanks for the reply. I'll look closely at the handle tomorrow. I appreciate your looking into this for me.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 11:25:47 pm »
By the way, in my searching for old recurves, my experience was that most of the bows in that era were lower draw weight with 40 and 45lbs being the most common by far.  You did well to find a 50lb version at such a low price.  Sometimes garage sales can be a real gold mine.  Good luck with the bow.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 11:32:17 pm »
Got one just like it in the shop, im repairing it for a friend that stored it incorrectly for years...but im tracing the outline before i return it..the curves are awesome on this model...Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2011, 12:11:55 am »
A coworker gave me one similar to that.  It is orange and white and is only 35# or 40#. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2011, 12:12:18 pm »
A friend gave me the same model bow a few years ago. He picked it up at an auction for $2. The limbs are really warped, so far I havent been able to straighten them. Mine is a 55 pounder and even though the string is way off the handle it is a pretty good shooter.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2011, 12:40:10 pm »
 I can't add anything that George didn't cover. That's a good deal. I bought one a few years back for $40 just to throw in the bottom of my canoe. They are damn near indestructable.

Eric, sometimes when all else fails to straighten one I'll string it backwards and put it away for a few months. It's worked on two different bows, so far.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?