Author Topic: variety of primitivity  (Read 2945 times)

Stringman

variety of primitivity
« on: February 09, 2011, 12:57:42 pm »
I've been trying different styles of "primitive" arrows and trying to settle on a mix between what works good for me and what is local material. I have worked with dogwood and like some aspects of it, but obviously cane has some huge advantages and I really like working with it (but its not local.) I have had some trouble with the cane and self nocks so felt obliged to use plastic in an effort to not split the cane at a critical moment. I just finished these three dogwood shoot arrows and haven't shot them yet. I'm curious how they will fly, cause they are plenty heavy. Also like the look and feel of them now that I added the straightening grooves.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: variety of primitivity
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 01:03:56 pm »
Where are you located?  I think cane would be your best bet, even though it does not grow near you.  Heck, some Native American tribes would use stone (for arrowheads) and bow wood that came from hundreds of miles away...  when walking was the only method of travel!

Nice stuff, by the way.  Very nice!
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 01:05:51 pm »
Those are all incredible!
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Stringman

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 01:23:39 pm »
Thanks guys, I live in central Illinois. And I try to follow 2 rules. One -  make it with your hands. Two - make sure it works well and will be an efficient weapon. I'm not making museum quality stuff, so sometimes I cross the line between modern and primitive. Main thing though is that I enjoy doing it. And because I try to use primitive materials I'm cutting down on the trips to Cabela's before deer season.  ;D

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 02:04:30 pm »
Very nice arrows. They look very effective.   If you add a sinew wrap below your self nocks they will never split. At least I've never had one split.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 02:05:27 pm »
 Have you tried wrapping a little sinew below the notch to reinforce your nocks ?  Beautiful,functional looking arrows.  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline Phil Rees

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 05:19:55 pm »
I'm not making museum quality stuff  ;D

I beg to differ there Stringman ..... museum quality ... too right they are

H.F.

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 07:55:44 am »
Ware in central IL? I'll be up near Peoria next week. I could bring some cane for ya.
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Stringman

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 10:40:37 am »
Jacksonville - 30 miles West of Springfield. When you come up? Maybe we could hook up?!?

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 07:03:57 am »
I'll be up next thur-sun PM me your phone # and I'll call yousome time this weekend.
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2