Author Topic: Osage board with a knot - Should I send this back?  (Read 4192 times)

Offline chep

• TraditionalArcher.org Traditional archery and traditional bowhunting forum
Osage board with a knot - Should I send this back?
« on: February 12, 2011, 03:33:40 pm »
I purchased this board just this week. It has a knot all the way through it and the knot is fairly large in size. Now I have only made one other osage board bow which was hickory backed and it turned out great. It had a few pin knots in it but worked great. No concerns. However I have also built an Ipe bow which had a knot like this where the limb bending happens. That bow did not live long and I spent a lot of time working on it. This board looks bad to me and I believe it might break because this knot goes all the way through the wood and it happens to live right where some limb bending would happen.  I want to see what some other opinions are on this board. I planned on backing it with some hickory.

Thanks

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Osage board with a knot - Should I send this back?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 05:19:42 pm »
Is the board osage?  What are the dimensions of the board? Did you order it from a bow stave dealer or a lumber company?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline chep

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 07:48:11 pm »
As the title of the message implies, this is an osage board which I have purchased. I mentioned that this knot is where limb bending would be happening in my bow plan. The question isn't where I got it from and what source it originated from. The question is, would you consider embarking on the build with this knot where the limb bending is supposed to occur? The knot is about 1/2 to 3/4 inch wide and goes all the way through the board. I have also indicated I planned to back this bow project with hickory. It doesn't matter to me what the dimensions are or who it came from as I am asking a very concise question. Sorry, not trying to sound rude. Just trying to get right to the point.

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 07:55:33 pm »
A question about bow type is very germane to your question. It is hard for me to see in your pictures just how the knot runs. Is it front to back or side to side? If it is side to side, I would say send it back. If it is front to back, can the limb layout 'wiggle' around it? If so, keep it and build a bow.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline chep

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 08:01:49 pm »
I was looking to create a longbow with some back set limbs. The knot runs front to back. It doesn't appear to me that I would be able to wiggle around the layout and avoid it.

I have thought about scrapping the original project which was a 64-66 inch longbow to create a shorter bow of about 58 inches. This would have me to cut the board off right at the knot and use that cut piece as a handle. Then I would probably donate the bow at an event for raffle or igive it away to someone.

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 08:02:40 pm »
I would say to get a helpful answer you will need to show some better pics,!!!
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline chep

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 08:05:26 pm »
I disagree. I think the pictures supplied show just enough detail to get the point across , along with my explanation.

Oh well, I'll run on over and ask my bow building buddy. Thanks for those that had some good feedback I could use.

Offline Rain Man

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2011, 08:12:29 pm »
You can't have that big knot in your limb.  I think the question about dimensions was important cause it looks like your board is a 3 x 1.  Actual measurement would then be 2 1/2 x  1.  Your knot only goes halfway across...leaving you with a good 1 1/4 inches of width for a bow... good enough for an osage bow!  Sooo... adjust your "layout"

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 08:20:36 pm »
Your pictures are poor quality, the first is poorly lit and the second is too far away. Getting an attitude surely won't get you any advice. I have made an osage bow or two but can't give you any sound advice on the information you supplied.

Offline Rain Man

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2011, 08:24:26 pm »
BTW, cutting it to 58" AND putting a handle on it might be getting a little carried away cause that doesn't leave you with much length for your limbs.  PLUS if your draw length is 28" (which you didn't tell us) your draw would have some serious "stacking" unless you recurve the heck out of it.   So yea, your info in your posts didn't give us much to go with.   But maybe your BBB (Bow Building Buddy) can give you better advice  ::)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 08:31:40 pm by Rain Man »

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2011, 08:33:52 pm »
Sounds like you have made up your mind you can't get a 66" bow out of this. In that case I would recommend you send it back. Going into a project thinking it will fail is the best way to make it fail.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline denny

• my site
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2011, 09:54:27 pm »
I build a lot of board bows.. A picture never does justice to the need. However It is my opinion based on the photo you have given , back this stave with bamboo and you would probably be safe. If you have doubt, as it sounds like you do, can you return the product or is there even that option ? I have successfully built bows with knots ( osage) but run off knots, not like yours are a concern. I learned in early days of my building fellows built around the knot and sometimes cut them out and plugged them. That being selfbows  ! But board bows are a lot more touchy, cause of the violation of grain, thus requries a pretty descent stave to work with. Good luck I hope this helped.  Denny

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2011, 01:36:19 am »
One reason we would ask where you got the board has a lot to do with how we would answer your post. 

1) If purchased from a lumber dealer, I doubt they would take a return, nor would they understand that a knot in the board would be a problem.  After all, THEY are not bow builders.
2) If purchased from a bow materials dealer, you got reamed/hosed/stuffed/bent/robbed/cheated/take-to-the-cleaners/what-have-you.  They know better than to sell such questionable material and if it went out their door to you it was bad business.  A reputable dealer would make it right.

If you come in here for advice, please don't get upset when we make an effort to get you GOOD advice.  Simple answers are rarely as good as they sound.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Jboyd

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2011, 02:05:45 am »
I am just loving this!  My advice is make a skinny bow, osage likes it that way anyway.
and the pictures were terrible.

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2011, 07:58:22 am »
Bad pics, bad attitude, minds made up, why bother asking?  the friendly helpers are some of the best bowyers and you're rude ??? 
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA