Author Topic: Apllying sinew, still hearing pops as I smooth it down, glue consistencey???  (Read 7840 times)

Offline 1776J

Hello fellas.

I'm applying sinew right now,...
I "Think" I may have applied it a little thick in the handle area?  Not sure.  You see, as I press down its as if there are little air bubbles popping as I go.
Is that normal,... what if I don't get all those bubbles out even though I think I did?
Is it a response to having done something wrong as I'm going here???

Also, seems that some small spots aren't sticking well??  Like a small 1/4" section of a few strands maybe,.. like that.

Am I using enough glue?
Have I not soaked it enough first in the glue perhaps?
Is the glue to thin?

Should I simply add a little more glue to that area?
Should I pull it off (Though I'm pretty sure that isn't gonna happen!!!) and reapply it if possible?

Thanks for the help fellas.....
gonna post photos as I'm working....

« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 08:11:04 pm by 1776J »

Offline 1776J

The handle area (where I think it may be to thick perhaps...or???.....

The rest of it as I go here....

Offline toomanyknots

It will most likely be ok. It's not super easy to mess up sinewing in my opinion. In regards to it coming off. Depends on what glue you use, but I've never heard of sinew coming off a bow I think. I might of once when the sinew was drying, it might of lifted off as it reflexed, I think I heard someone say that before, but I could be wrong. It's probably dry-ish/tacky-ish by now, but if not just stick with it as the glue slowly gets tacky and rub it down to get rid of air bubbles. If the sinew is'nt sticking well it may be the glue is to hot/watery/not ready yet, but sometimes when it cools it gets tacky and sticky even though it's watery and not sticky when hot. I still don't glue anything until it makes my fingers stick together, usually beady and makes little glue balls at that point which is annoying but I know it's good and ready then, I just heat it up a bit on warm on the stove if it starts to get too beady. Probably has to do with water evaporating. (this is for sinew/hide glue) Make sure to apply a couple extra heavy layers of glue on top of the finished sinewing as it's annowing having sinews lift latter on. It will probably be fine.

"Also, seems that some small spots aren't sticking well??"

It don't hurt to be generous with the glue, for me it never has anyway. If the sinew it falling off or sliding to much, try putting more glue on. And smoothing with your fingers real good, coat the whole bow in glue after each layer of sinew. That is if your doing more than one layer of sinew.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 08:31:12 pm by toomanyknots »
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline 1776J

It will most likely be ok. It's not super easy to mess up sinewing in my opinion. In regards to it coming off. Depends on what glue you use, but I've never heard of sinew coming off a bow I think. I might of once when the sinew was drying, it might of lifted off as it reflexed, I think I heard someone say that before, but I could be wrong. It's probably dry-ish/tacky-ish by now, but if not just stick with it as the glue slowly gets tacky and rub it down to get rid of air bubbles. If the sinew is'nt sticking well it may be the glue is to hot/watery/not ready yet, but sometimes when it cools it gets tacky and sticky even though it's watery and not sticky when hot. Probably has to do with water evaporating. (this is for sinew/hide glue) Make sure to apply a couple extra heavy layers of glue on top of the finished sinewing as it's annowing having sinews lift latter on. It will probably be fine. 

I actually had the glu mixed and heated for HOURS!!!  Its like really thin syrup.... didn't gel up  right away stays liquified pretty well actually for a while then gels up.

I actually am using musician's hide glue from a fellow I found on ebay.  Was recommended by a fellow on here.

I've been applying a little more glue here and there where its a little thick, to get it well coated but trying to walk the fine line of not applying TOO much glue.   ???

Offline toomanyknots

I've ever only used sinew glue, so it could be a great deal different from hide glue, so you might want to keep that in mind.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Bevan R.

I've ever only used sinew glue, so it could be a great deal different from hide glue, so you might want to keep that in mind.

OK, I'm confused.  ???
What is the difference?
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline 1776J

Its the same thing,... hide glue/sinew glue,... its just musician's hide glue,... generally real good quality.

Offline 1776J

Anyone wrap their sinew with jute twine to keep it tight against their bow after sinewing???

Offline crooketarrow

It's been a while no a long while sence I sinewed a bow. But did quite a few. My first 2 were swinewed BL. I can't help you with the glue. I've only used hide glue and I'm not sure if theres a difference. I heard of musicians cememt. I liked mine thick enough to stay on the bow and not run off the sides. Don't skimp and make sure you do the sides good. You don't need it lifting off later. I 'd make some really thin to soak my sinew in. Seise the bow really good with the thicker. But a layer on and wait untill good and tacky but not to dry. Then I press out any air bubbles.After I did a couple bows I started useing a rist pin out of a 302 ford motor spray it down with pam and smouthed the sinew out. It did'nt take long to find out how messey it was useing your fingers. You have to clean and spray your pin down a coupe times if not tacky enough. This gets the air bubles out really good and compresses the sinew at the same time.  After it was fairly dry BUT NOT COMPLETELY I seised the bow again good and put the second layer on. Depending how thick and the poundage you want if you need another layer. DON'T DON'T BEEN YOUR BOW AND MAKE A REST WHERE IT'LL SET UP ON THE HANDLE AREA WITH SINEW POINTING UP. So when it drys you don't want any pressure on either of the limbs. You want the reflex to been the limbs even. I do things slowwwww and I'd wait a week maybe more TO MAKE SURE IT'S COMPLETELY DRY. I'd even be told by some people that they even used a hair dryer for and hour after they thought it was dry. I'd always have another bow going OR SOMETHING SO YOU DON'T WANT TO START BEENING YOUR BOW TO SOON..
   If I wanted 65#s or over I'd put on 3 layers. But I was just starting out so I'm not sure if you needed it.
  I'm sure there's shorter and easer ways to do it. When I started the boy scout manual (LATE 50'S) build a bow for a badge. Did'nt go into to many details.
     I would'nt worry about if you put to much on the handle area.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline 1776J

Sounds good much appreciated!

Yes I basically put on two layers at this point.  I came close to the sides (as I did some trapping on it beforehand) so I wasn't sure if I wanted to run it down the sides where the trapping was done????

I sized it the day before, bit only with a thin layer of glue, nothing thick.

I kept the sinew soaked but not to the point where it was curling up on the ends like noodles.  Hope it was correct?
I've seen photos of it being done and read it,... then read others stories of the sinew resembling spaghetti noodles??!!
The only way it resembled noodles was if I heated the sinew up to much,... so I kept it at about 115 and just dealt with the heat on my hands when I soaked it in the glue.

I just wrapped the bow with twine to squeeze it.

Offline PatM

Do yourself a favor and wrap it with inner tube and then warm the bow slightly. That will  re-liquify the glue andcompress it all together and force excess glue and bubbles out. You can safely put on way more than you have there.

Offline 1776J

Do yourself a favor and wrap it with inner tube and then warm the bow slightly. That will  re-liquify the glue andcompress it all together and force excess glue and bubbles out. You can safely put on way more than you have there.

Pat,... thanks a million,.. sounds like a great idea and the rubber won't stick either!!  hahaha

I'll take off the twine tomorrow,... and see about some innertube or something of the like?

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
After I did a couple bows I started useing a rist pin out of a 302 ford motor spray it down with pam and smouthed the sinew out. It did'nt take long to find out how messey it was useing your fingers. You have to clean and spray your pin down a coupe times if not tacky enough. This gets the air bubles out really good and compresses the sinew at the same time.

I've never backed a bow with sinew yet, but if and when I do - getting Pam on the glue between layers would be the LAST thing I would want to do.  I can't believe that actually worked for you!

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
You can also wrap it in just plain old plastic wrap as well.. ;)

Offline 1776J

You can also wrap it in just plain old plastic wrap as well.. ;)

Hey, that would work!  haha

Lord, I guess there's a million ways I suppose!! ;D