Author Topic: Skinny Osage twisty bow,...(Need opinion on twist & side bend)  (Read 14426 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Question on A Splinter by knot in Osage Stave????
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2011, 01:22:05 am »
Could that be where the forces of the bend pushed wood out to the side?  ??? I think I'd scrape both sides of the tips flat near where the anomaly is and see if there is a crack. Putting super glue on the side will help a hairline crach show up.  Is that area going to be a working portion of the limb or static?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline 1776J

« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2011, 02:20:03 am »
Could that be where the forces of the bend pushed wood out to the side?  ??? I think I'd scrape both sides of the tips flat near where the anomaly is and see if there is a crack. Putting super glue on the side will help a hairline crach show up.  Is that area going to be a working portion of the limb or static?

Well, I had to amend my thoughts that I could still make it a static limb,...
I worked up the other limb to some extent though, (I'll post photos of it to give reference) so it's not quite a text-book non-bending limb though.

I was going to give it some bend, but if its better, I'll leave it on the stiff side instead. Not quite completely static though.

I sanded down the sides to the proper width and nothing shows up.  Haven't added any super glue to it yet though.  Going to warm it up a little and add some,...see if any cracks show up.
Either way I'll just add super glue, it can only help! ;)

Thanks Pat,.... much appreciated.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 05:23:19 am by 1776J »

Offline 1776J

« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2011, 05:18:30 am »
After super-glue....  No cracks seem to appear,..(either that or its to late and I don;'t know what I'm looking at!!??)
I think however, that these limbs will be more a working limb than not,... just as I have set them up thus far having worked up the opposite limb than this one I had super glued.
So much for a static limb,.... stiff, yes,..unbending,... not quite.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 05:24:15 am by 1776J »

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2011, 10:46:10 am »
I'm not sure what this could be but I have seen similar raised lines on wood that were nothing more than tool marks.  If it's still there after sanding then it could be a problem with the wood
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Timo

« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2011, 11:24:21 am »
Jason, normally shake will occur along a single growth ring,not usually within several. I think that looks normal, as Marc said get it sanded the work it abit. If it swells again then you should probly wrap it and hope for the best. The worst case would be breakage, but most likely it will just be a weak spot that will go just so far until it finds it's happy place, then just fix the other end to match it.

Offline 1776J

« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2011, 03:31:15 pm »
Marc and Tim,...

Thank you very much gents!  ;)  Much appreciated.

Yes, guys,.. after having sanded it down it looks fine.  I worked up the one end to see if there was any issues there that would be brought out and nothing reared its head on me.
I'll be hitting this end of the bow hot and heavy later on so we'll see what we can see with it.

One question regarding "WHEN" to sinew wrap the ends...

Should I get the tips where I want them, THEN sinew wrap and tiller from there on out???
OR...
Tiller it completely THEN sinew wrap the ends???

Thanks

Offline Timo

« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2011, 06:19:42 pm »
I would try to finish the tiller,keeping an eye on that bad spot. If it doesn't pose a problem, and seems to be holding, then finish it out. It would be a judgement call as to sinewing the tips or not.

be sure to watch for and more bulging in that area you super glued. If there is, then you can address the problem, but if it ain't broke, then don't fix it. ;D

Offline 1776J

« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2011, 07:36:24 pm »
I would try to finish the tiller,keeping an eye on that bad spot. If it doesn't pose a problem, and seems to be holding, then finish it out. It would be a judgement call as to sinewing the tips or not.

be sure to watch for and more bulging in that area you super glued. If there is, then you can address the problem, but if it ain't broke, then don't fix it. ;D

Oh ok,.. that sounds good.  Basically then, just don't even worry about applying "any' sinew unless visually something shows, then hit it with sinew?  Good,.. sounds good.
You fellas are really a big help and your help,... everyone's is GREATLY appreciated!
 :)

Have a great President's Day!

Offline 1776J

« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2011, 02:18:05 am »
Starting to tiller the osage up.  Keeping an eye on the area with small splinter above knot.  I filled it with superglue and wood dust.
I may just say to heck with it and just put a small sinew wrap on it.

60" long (shooting for a #50-55 draw at 27".
1 1/2" at widest points,.... which are for about 3-4" past the fades, then steadily narrows to the tips which are 1/2" wide.  **(Actually the tips are about 1/2" wide, (maybe a over 1/2")  for about 3-4" in length towards the ends)
Sinew on the tips for a 5" long section.  (proactive measures)

« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 04:37:07 am by 1776J »

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2011, 02:35:24 am »
Better to be safe. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline 1776J

« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2011, 04:36:06 am »
Yeah Jawge,... that's what I figured.  I'd rather overbuild it...  ;)

Offline 1776J

Re: Skinny Osage twisty bow,...
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2011, 01:16:38 am »
Well, it's been a while.
I had put this bow off to the side as I wasn't sure I wasn't to thrilled about how it was turning out.  Worked on it now and then.  Mainly due to the twist and side bend in the lower limb that, (even until today) just won't come out....and a tiny bit of propeller twist in its body as well.
I tried fixing that side bend, but I gave up (for the meantime that is) and just tillered it up.  Got a great deal out of it but not all.

It's 62" long, #47 @ 27" un-backed, with sinew wraps at the last 6" of the ends.

I'll take some photos of it braced, drawn and unstrung.... for now, the main thing I'd like opinions on is the twist and side bend that it has. 
Mainly,...

1.  Should I just rework it even though its at the stage it is now?

2.  Any ideas as to the likely hood of a possible failure of a 62" long, 27" draw at #47 lbs. with a twist and side bend such as that?

(Don't mind the goofy string, I use it to figure out brace height, etc.)

« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 10:06:18 pm by 1776J »

Offline 1776J

Re: Skinny Osage twisty bow,...(Need opinion on twist & side bend)
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2011, 10:07:58 pm »

Here it is at full draw...

Strung...

Profile photos....

I guess it will be fine with that side bend it has in itself,... I guess I was just a little cautious/worried as it is so thin on the limbs.... (tapers out to 1/2" tips.)

« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 05:41:45 am by 1776J »

Offline gstoneberg

Re: Skinny Osage twisty bow,...(Need opinion on twist & side bend)
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2011, 11:10:34 pm »
If the string stays on when you shoot it, and it shoots well, I would call it good.  I'd watch it to see if anything changes as it gets shot in.  I like the full draw picture a lot.  Nice job.

George
St Paul, TX