Author Topic: Skinny Osage twisty bow,...(Need opinion on twist & side bend)  (Read 14425 times)

Offline 1776J

Skinny Osage twisty bow,...(Need opinion on twist & side bend)
« on: February 14, 2011, 09:01:47 am »
I wanted to get some opinions,...

I had a small splinter pop up as I was  chasing the ring on the back of the stave, right above a knot.
I'm thinking of taking it down another ring, but the rings are actually pretty thick on this stave, so I wanted to ask first before I leap into anything?
What's your educated opinions fellas?

Not wanting to waste the time I had I moved along without deciding on the back yet.....

Here we are this evening, and I took the stave right on down earlier to the the general shape and to about 3/4" this on the limbs not including the handle and fades.
I took an idea that many guys here choose to go with, and set it into gear for myself in order to start bending reflex into the tips.
Here's where we are thus far on one limb.  I'll let it cool overnight, wrapping it in tin foil to keep the heat in, and see what it looks like in the morning.
Length is 60" )yeah I chose 60 instead of the 62 I was thinking of,..oh well!),.. 1 1/2" at mid limbs....narrowing all the way from approx 2" from end of fade areas.

Had originally wondered about making the bow 62" and keeping another knot in the wood by the one tip, but have since changed my mind to exclude it.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 01:55:44 am by 1776J »

Offline artcher1

Re: Knots in Osage,... Where to keep them towards the ends?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 09:54:11 am »
You mean like this Jason?

Offline 1776J

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 11:09:49 am »
You mean like this Jason?

BINGO!!!  :)

That's it.... like that!  Haha... Nice "antler" tips!

I suppose all in all it doesn't matter on length other than the added two inches will just lend the bow to flex a little easier when all is said and done?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 11:28:46 am by 1776J »

Offline artcher1

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 11:36:05 am »
Maybe just me Jason, but I think a 62" bow is about the perfect length for a hunting bow. Not to long, and not to short........Art

Offline 1776J

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 05:24:41 pm »
Maybe just me Jason, but I think a 62" bow is about the perfect length for a hunting bow. Not to long, and not to short........Art

I guess my mindset on length keeps leaning towards,..

"I'm going to hunt with this bow...can't make it to long..."

I have thoughts of hitting everything around me with a long bow when I draw on a doe or buck!!  :o :o

Offline 1776J

Re: Question on A Splinter by a knot in Osage Stve????
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 04:23:06 pm »
So any thoughts on that splinter fellas?...

I'm going to be straightening the bow out a little more as well, as the side bend still needs some tweaking to get it lined up a little better than it currently is.

Offline artcher1

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 06:00:07 pm »
Is that 'bout 9" from the Tip Jason? You gonna get away with more there then if at mid-limb or closer to the fades.

I would at least go ahead and clean that gouge out and see what you have at this point. Gotta clean it up to the bottom and sand around the edges good. Can't have any abrupt edges. Worse comes to worse, you can later fill with super glue/dust, and if need be,  place a leather super glued patch over the area. Then cover w/wrap.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Question on A Splinter by knot in Osage Stave????
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 07:26:43 pm »
I guess I'd clean it up first. If it went through the ring I'd chase to another. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline 1776J

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 08:24:58 pm »
Is that 'bout 9" from the Tip Jason? You gonna get away with more there then if at mid-limb or closer to the fades.

I would at least go ahead and clean that gouge out and see what you have at this point. Gotta clean it up to the bottom and sand around the edges good. Can't have any abrupt edges. Worse comes to worse, you can later fill with super glue/dust, and if need be,  place a leather super glued patch over the area. Then cover w/wrap.

it's  9 1/4" from the tip of that limb.
I'll hit it with some sandpaper, smooth it out and see what's what, then get back to you fellows.
I was thinking maybe just, worse comes to worse, fill with sinew, then do a sinew wrap there, right around the area, and the same on the other limb so it matches, and be done with it? 
Then it will be both functional and look good.

Offline 1776J

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 08:26:13 pm »
I guess I'd clean it up first. If it went through the ring I'd chase to another. Jawge

Thanks Jawge,...
Yeah I'm hoping its not quite through the ring.  I looked at it again and looked at the ring from the side and I think it didn't even go halfway through the right,.. or so it looks. 
I'll know better after its all cleaned up.

Again,.. thanks guys

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2011, 09:25:12 pm »
That close to a limb tip I'd fill it with sawdust and superglue it.  I've done that with 2 of the last 3 bows I've made.  That will not be a high-bend area.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline 1776J

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2011, 09:28:23 pm »
That close to a limb tip I'd fill it with sawdust and superglue it.  I've done that with 2 of the last 3 bows I've made.  That will not be a high-bend area.

George

I didn't think it would get much stress there, and figured either the superglue or sinew wrap would work out for me,
but all I could imagine was it being the "one question I failed to ask!"...then finding an irreversible problem down the line!  I'd rather ask all kinds of questions, simple or complex and be 110% sure then dive in head first
only to find out I dove into a rock! ouch!  :P

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2011, 09:41:07 pm »
Well, it's wood after all so there are never guarantees.  I've been bit more often by flaws I couldn't see than by the ones I could.  You can do your best and still fail so there's no sense worrying about it.  The flip side is also true, the short bow I'm finishing up has so many flaws it's silly, but the thing just wants to be a bow.  That's what makes the hobby so fun, you just never know.  If you want to be absolutely sure, the sinew wrap or backing is the way to go.  But, you can superglue and watch it.  If it begins to lift again you can then wrap it.  Lots of options.

Good luck,
George   
St Paul, TX

Offline 1776J

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2011, 09:43:11 pm »
Sounds good to me!  ;)
Thanks again George!

Offline sailordad

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2011, 10:49:45 pm »

[/quote]
 I'd rather ask all kinds of questions, simple or complex and be 110% sure then dive in head first
only to find out I dove into a rock! ouch!  :P
[/quote]

just remember to grab that rock
it might be knappable  :D
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd