Author Topic: Bow Making....addicted?  (Read 8190 times)

Offline Arrowind

Bow Making....addicted?
« on: February 15, 2011, 02:57:14 am »
I've always really liked archery.  My uncle was an archery hunter and gave us kids a 14 pound recurve when I was growing up.  He and my Dad set up some hay bales in our backyard. I used to try and shoot apples and once even shot a cherry tomato.  That was a very long time ago.  I kept shooting off an on in highschool then more off than on. Then not at all.   I never stopped liking it though.  My uncle passed away last year.  I'm a scout leader and recently during a planning meeting someone got the crazy idea that for an activity we would make our own bows.  Everyone got excited about it then I suddenly realized I better figure out how to build bows.  Fortunately for me we have the internet! 

I was not prepared for how much I would love doing this.  I was also not prepared for how much it makes me feel closer to my uncle even though he has passed away.

I think I may have a problem though.  I can't stop.  I can hardly finish one before I start another!  I sit around thinking about what woods I can try or what kinds of bows I can make or try to make...

I wonder if there is a 12 step program for this...

I need to find a better place to shoot.  My yard is too small.... If the neighbors see me there could be trouble....
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Bow Making....addicted?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 03:11:19 am »
This website is our 12 step program.  Admitting you have a problem is the first step.

Hi, my name is Clint, and I have a bow problem ;D
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 03:23:45 am »
My name is Pat and I am addicted to wood bow building!
Welcome to PA, Arrowind. You are among friends and fellow addicts.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 03:28:13 am »
Hi my name is Josh and I too admit I have a problem, when I close my eyes at night I see a bent stick or imagine what my next bow stave may come to be. I read either TBB 1,2,3,4 every night before bed and thats after I pull my self off here lol gotta get off the net now my wife is also realizing im an addict.
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 05:14:51 am »
Nice post, I like that it makes you feel closer to your Uncle.
I find bow making very therapeutic. I'm an impatient old git who can get easilly stressed out by the ineptitude of others. Making bows teachs me a bit of patience and while making 'em I only have my own ineptitude to cope with ;D.
I'm Del and I'm a cat addict.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 07:08:23 am »
Hi my name is Josh and I too admit I have a problem, when I close my eyes at night I see a bent stick or imagine what my next bow stave may come to be. I read either TBB 1,2,3,4 every night before bed and thats after I pull my self off here lol gotta get off the net now my wife is also realizing im an addict.

Same here.  I have been reading TBI and Become the arrow at night after the wife goes to sleep.  Once at our old house, I woke up one night standing downstairs in my bow shop.  I must have been sleep walking. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline cracker

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 09:58:59 am »
My name is Ronnie and I don't have a bow problem I can quit any time I want. Now wheres my draw knife.Ron ;D
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline Badger

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 10:47:15 am »
  Bows are terribly addicting, from the moment I built the first bow I was hopelessly addicted for about a 12 year run. Now I can't hardly finish one. I think I fizzled out! Steve

Offline Matt S.

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 12:17:23 pm »
Making bows is so addicted to me because it combines four things I thoroughly enjoy:
1) crafting things (whether woodworking, forging, etc)
2) art
3) tools/weapons (coaxing a piece of wood to fling arrows across a field or through a target is just plain cool and must be a testosterone thing)
4) a sense of connection with our human history

I just hope my wife doesn't get sick and tired of my hobby, especially since I'm now taking over the kitchen stove as I experiment with steam bending ;D

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2011, 01:33:55 pm »
I think I may have a problem though.  I can't stop.  I can hardly finish one before I start another!  I sit around thinking about what woods I can try or what kinds of bows I can make or try to make...

My name is Bevan and I am an addict (and proud of it  ;D).

I do not think your addiction is hardcore enough, you state you finish one before you start another, I have not got my head around that concept yet. I usually have several going at the same time.

Bevan
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2011, 01:56:30 pm »
I've been hooked on this stuff for about 8 years now.  Just like any user, I turn to scraping on a stave when I have problems, BUT unlike other types of self medication bow making leaves you feeling better.  I have worked through many a problem in my life by just following the grain on a stick until I saw whatever I needed to in a new light.  It kinda gives your rational brain a break and allows your unconcious brain to work stuff out.  As a huge bonus, you get bows out of it.  :D

Gabe

p.s. Steve I can't imagine you've fizzled out.  I bet you just need to find a new tack. Find a new angle that rekindles your inspiration.  There is no limit to the different ways you can bend a stick. You need to get that inner scientist questioning again so we can all benifit.   :)
Humboldt County CA.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2011, 02:31:56 pm »
I'm not an addict... I'm just bored.   ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2011, 03:15:49 pm »

Same here.  I have been reading TBI and Become the arrow at night after the wife goes to sleep.  Once at our old house, I woke up one night standing downstairs in my bow shop.  I must have been sleep walking. 

Thats funny rite there a sleep walking bowyer lol I hope you dont use allot of power tools in your sleep  ;D
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline snag

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2011, 03:39:37 pm »
The only problem I have is getting staves and enough time to work with them!  :D  I've just about completed my first bow and have another one underway and am eyeing my stave supply already.  Also I am turning my pumphouse into a woodshop. Yep, it's too much fun!
Is. 49:2 ....He made me a polished arrow and concealed me in His quiver.

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2011, 03:52:28 pm »
At typical evening at my house:

"Cam, come to bed."

"Just a sec, just gotta read this post"

"That's what you said half an hour ago"

"Ya, just hang on"

"You're not going to want to go to the gym in the morning"

"I never WANT to go to the gym, but you'll make me anyway"

"Just come to bed"

"Fine" - go lay down...

"Don't do it!!"

"Do what??"

"Don't turn the nightlight on, your Primitive Archer will still be there tomorrow..."

"Fine..."  ... then fall asleep thinking about bows... :)