Author Topic: Throwing staves in shower to loosen up bark...  (Read 1113 times)

Offline toomanyknots

Throwing staves in shower to loosen up bark...
« on: February 17, 2011, 01:58:45 pm »
I remember reading something like this in tbb sometime. I don't remember if it said you should throw them actually "in" the shower where they would directly wet, or just in a steamy bathroom. I was wondering if anybody has any experience doing something like this, as scraping off the bark is just not an option for me with all the pin knots on these mulberry staves I got yesterday...
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Throwing staves in shower to loosen up bark...
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 02:17:00 pm »
First off if it is seasoned bow wood I would not put it in the shower.  Removing bark and sapwood is part of building selfbows. Working around knots and pins is too. For me it is all part of the fun of taking a tree and turning a part of it into a useable tool. The stave has a bow in it and as a bowyer it is up to you to find that bow, pins, knots and all.
  I think the shower deal was for winter cut white wood staves. Even then I wouldn't put it in the shower whether it will release the bark or not. I like well seasoned wood to work with and IMO by putting it back in a moist environment just adds another couple of weeks drying time to it. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 02:23:53 pm »
I'm with Pat on that,I have heard of that also but woundn't think of trying it. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 02:26:47 pm »
I just cut it yesterday, so I figured I don't have too much to loose. I was reading a thread where someone said they threw some hickory in a bath to soak for 2 hours, kinda scary when ya think about mold and stuff. But on a 56" stave, I counted forty so knots, and then got tired of counting. Cut threw five or six just trying to get the outer bark off, as it's pretty tough and won't come off with a dull butter knife or the like, when I said screw it before I ruined it. I'm used to smooth easy hackberry... :)
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 02:29:32 pm »
Note to self.
Make sure Mrs Cat isn't in there first :o
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.