Author Topic: Something I made for a trade  (Read 4729 times)

Offline Michael C.

Something I made for a trade
« on: February 23, 2011, 07:41:12 pm »
Hopefully this doesn't ruin it for him but Autumnbear and I worked out an instrument for an instrument trade, he's sending me a drum and I can't wait to get it.

He said he wanted it made out of Cedar and I had a hard time deciding on Western or Eastern so I used both. I really liked the cocobolo I had to work with for the bear turned out really pretty, I think. Only problem is I forgot to sign it and put the key on before I sent it out :P I meant to make a build along while I was doing it but I didn't know if anyone would be interested in one or not. If you are I will try and make a photo record on the next one I make. Half the time when I make a fetish though I'm pretty much playing it by ear cause I don't know what I'm doing till it's done :)

"Friendship makes prosperity more shining and lessens adversity by dividing and sharing it."

Cicero

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
Re: Something I made for a trade
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 07:48:27 pm »
WOW!   :o  :o  :o Great work!
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

HatchA

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 08:03:32 pm »
WOW! 

^^  what he said!!

That's.......  beautiful  :o

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 08:12:38 pm »
Now that's a sweet .....Mouth Organ...... :P....... >:D.....now really Michael....that is awesome.....bet it sounds better than it looks....
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline cracker

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 08:17:50 pm »
Very cool I can't play but I'd like to have one just cause it's beautiful.Ronnie
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 08:24:33 pm »
Gorgeous!  I love the inlays...

I'd love to see a build-a-long on something like this.

Thanks for sharing.
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 08:42:55 pm »
 I second the buildalong. That is pretty.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 09:55:59 pm »
Got my vote for awesome also!! Love the color combo.

Bevan
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline thomas h

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 11:52:47 pm »
that is a beautiful flute.

Offline Michael C.

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 01:00:19 am »
Thanks fellas, It is an awesome board that the bear came from. You might notice it's the same wood I used for the handle on the knife I made in the KITH Mullet. I don't know if the air causes it to be that color or what but it turns sort of white w/brown bands when you first have it sanded down and then it starts to turn a bright orange w/brown bands. I don't know if they are true inlays, all I do to get that is smash up some turquoise and use ca glue to fill the carving then file it back down and clean it up. I wish I had the skill to use one solid stone, but I don't have a clue where to even start with that one. Maybe sometime I will figure it out and it will look even better.

Now that's a sweet .....Mouth Organ......  :P

Hah El D it's funny you put it that way, one of my designer friends tried to get me to start selling them with the brand name Skyne Flutes. I will let you guess how she pronounced it (it rhymes with shin), she even made a logo it was funny/terrible.

Since there are people interested I will make sure to document the next one I make. I had been planning on making a branch flute, I might get ambitious and do two at once.
"Friendship makes prosperity more shining and lessens adversity by dividing and sharing it."

Cicero

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 01:36:35 am »

Now that's a sweet .....Mouth Organ......  :P

Hah El D it's funny you put it that way, one of my designer friends tried to get me to start selling them with the brand name Skyne Flutes. I will let you guess how she pronounced it (it rhymes with shin), she even made a logo it was funny/terrible.

Since there are people interested I will make sure to document the next one I make. I had been planning on making a branch flute, I might get ambitious and do two at once.

I think She's onto something BIG there Michael........... :P

And when you do that two Flute Build....I'll take the Ugliest of the Two off your hands...and give it a a GOOD HOME..... ;)
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 07:07:39 am »
...one of my designer friends tried to get me to start selling them with the brand name Skyne Flutes. I will let you guess how she pronounced it (it rhymes with shin), she even made a logo it was funny/terrible.

Hmmm, Skyne flute huh?  Well, if you use "crotch wood" I'm not sure a pictorial is needed  >:D but I'd love to see a branch flute build-a-long.  Any particular tree species, branch diameter, etc that you would prefer or recommend?  Green wood or dry (I am assuming dry but am a novice when it comes to constructing musical instruments.)

Thanks!
~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2011, 10:07:14 am »
Beautiful work Michael,I like that a lot. Build along would be great. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Michael C.

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2011, 11:58:23 am »
...one of my designer friends tried to get me to start selling them with the brand name Skyne Flutes. I will let you guess how she pronounced it (it rhymes with shin), she even made a logo it was funny/terrible.

Hmmm, Skyne flute huh?  Well, if you use "crotch wood" I'm not sure a pictorial is needed  >:D but I'd love to see a branch flute build-a-long.  Any particular tree species, branch diameter, etc that you would prefer or recommend?  Green wood or dry (I am assuming dry but am a novice when it comes to constructing musical instruments.)

Thanks!

Species just depends on if you're making it for you or someone else who might be allergic to that specific wood, traditional are cedar woods and river cane. You also want to take wood resonance into mind also which I think is one reason a lot of cedar is used. I have a piece of Makore in my garage that has been calling to me for a while now :) Depending on the key you would like anything in the F or G range you want a branch you can put at least a 3/4 bore into if you want an E or possibly a C then you want something you can put an 1 to 1 1/4 bore. If it's not dry when you find it or cut it then you need to make sure to let it dry. I'll probably use some branches from trees I've cut. I hate leaving any part of a tree I might use, so I have a habit of keeping as much as possible. I will try to get around to the build in the next few weeks and I will make a link here if I remember.

Cicero

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2011, 01:39:12 pm »
Thanks Michael...the bore diameter helps a lot.  I'll look around here and see what I have already dried and if nothing appears suitable I'll do a little Walk-about on the back 40 and see what I appeals to me.

~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold