Author Topic: Vets roll call  (Read 5538 times)

Offline iowabow

Vets roll call
« on: February 24, 2011, 10:32:54 am »
This is a thread for those who have and are serving in the armed forces for any country. I was posting with Grunt in "screen names " about what it was like to serve and how it changed our views about life, community, and country. I tend to remember the funny things that happened like, one time we were on maneuvers and was digging in near a creek and I mentioned to the capt that I could make him a catfish dinner if he gave me two hours to noodle a fish from "that there creek". So he bit and I went to the creek and just happened to find a cut fishing line along the bank and swam out to a log and untangled the hook from an submerge log. I dug in the bank for worms and started fishing. After a couple of hours I brought back fish for the comand tent and one for me!
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Dane

Re: Vets roll call
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 02:14:47 pm »
Iowa, thanks for starting this thread. I'll post some war stories over the weekend, most likely, as I am swamped right now.

I hope others share service-related tales, as I'd like to see who is a vet, branch and MOSs, and what they went through. Even squids :)

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Grunt

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 11:26:36 pm »
funny this should be asked for right now. I'm in the middle of writing a Vietnam memoir based on letters I sent home from boot camp, Vietnam and the hospital. I was on active duty in the Marine Corps for three years.
Went to Parris Island in March of 1966. Graduated PFC and was off to other advanced infantry training and arrived in VN Sept 1966. I was assigned 1st Bn 3rd Marines and moved to an outpost hilltop in the Da Nang area. Within a week was in my first firefight. Eleven of us were in a squad position with three fighting holes  and a wall tent in the middle. We got hit right after I went off watch, were quickly overrun and my position with two other Marines was the only one to hold. Eight members of my squad were killed that night and I killed my first three men. I've got a magazine from my m-14 that has a AK hole in it from that night.
We saddled up and moved north to Khe Sanh after that. It rained and rained and rained for 12 weeks without let up. We lived in our ponchos and made makeshift hooches from shelterhalfs. We were always wet and I didn't take my boots off or shower or have hot chow for all that time. We worked like slaves setting barbwire and digging bunkers. Morale was at the point we were going to kill some of the Sgt that worked us everyday including Christmas. Nights were ambushes, combat patrols, listening posts, or hole watch two hours on two off two on two off. No more than four hours sleep. The only saving grace was the North Vietnamese weren't intrested in Khe Sanh at that time. I put in for a transfer to get out of the chicken------ outfit and I got it in Jan 1967.
My transfer went into the 1st Bn 9th Marines. 1/9 had a rep it was said that you got issued a body bag when you joined them as they were in constant combat. My tour in 1/9 was rough. Constant operations, humping from dawn to dark, setting in, getting motared, running all night patrols of laying in the bush beside a trail in ambush or listening post or hole watch. A grunt's life. We did operation Prairie in a heavily mined area. Alpha company lost 37 men to mines in four days. We were ambushed by a large force and one of our supply sgts saved my plt from annihilation by charging the ambush with a M-60 machine gun and was killed, his parents recieved his MOH. The fighting got savage, we had guys hit every day and I got a couple of chunks of shrapnel and got a PH. One day we called naplam in on two companies  of NVA and had burning targets to shoot at. We counted 210 dead NVA and only took a couple of wounded. My rotation day was approaching but all I could think of was my next fifteen minutes. I lost count of my kills at around twelve or thirteen,I was nineteen and wanted nineteen kills. I know the day before I got shot I shot four NVA off the backs of tanks when they were trying to put satchel charges under the turrets. We had our M-14 taken away on April fools day 1967 and we were issued new M-16's. Delta company got caught in a big ambush and the new M-16 started jamming. We, Alpha co, ran at night through a minefield to their aid. We found dead Marines in groups of two or three with their weapons field stripped to try and clear their M-16. If we hadn't fixed bayonets and attacked into the ambush Delta would have been wiped completely out.  They couldn't defend themselves. Deltas machine guns were out of ammo.  There was a ditch where the corpsmen were staging the wounded and all the wounded and the Corpsmen had been executed. We captured three NVA and used them for bayonet practice. Our officer looked the other way.
Alpha company bumped into a NVA camoflaged bunker complex in May 1967. Everywhere we went we were in a crossfire of automatic weapons. It took us four days to clear those bunkers and our supporting arms were a plt of six tanks. We killed 137 on the third day.  At the end of four days our plt was down to one squad and I was squad leader. We got caught in a crossfire and everyone in the squad was hit. I caught a round through my hip and we had to keep fighting to survive. The bunkers were so close it turned into a grenade duel. One member of my squad saved one man and went to get another and they both were killed. His parents got his Navy Cross.
I was wounded twice more that day by shrapnel but after four hours we had another company come in and drag the survivors out.  The medevac helo I was on took fire pulling out and the guy across from me got hit again in the chest.
I was in the hospital for eleven months and returned to duty as a MP at Quantico VA till I got out in March of 69.         

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 12:02:29 am »
I never joined the military, but come from a navy family.  I have a huge amount of respect for the sacrifices you all make. I just got done reading two books that may interest some of you. The Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrel and Warrior Elite by Couch ( can't remember his first name). Anyone have any other good military reads?
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline medievalhamster

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 12:08:21 am »
Currently in the Marine Reserves as an ammo resupply driver in an artillery battery. Went to boot camp in June 2007.

Haven't gone to play in the sand yet but the word is that we are in about a year or so.

Oh boy Afghanistan.

Semper Fi, do or die.
Sic vis pacem, para bellum.

Offline Ian Schmidt

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 12:58:07 am »
Thank You. All of you, and especially those who are not here with us today.
"Call them wheels, or call them cams. I don't care. All I know is that the only wheels that should be killing deer are like the ones on my truck."

Offline iowabow

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 01:15:43 am »
Wow grunt that was one heck of a ride. I know that must have been really difficult, you all sacrificed so much...thank you
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 02:09:58 am »
I did a stint in the Texas Army National Guard from 1985-1995.  I signed up for 10 years.  Never got called up for combat or natural disaster... so I don't really count myself as a veteran.  Went to army boot camp, then AIT to train as a mechanic, then got assigned to a mechanized infantry unit.  Served 3 years then went to OCS for a year and became an officer (federal commisson) and trained as a combat engineer.  Resigned my commission after 4 more years of service then spent 2 years in the inactive reserve.  My 10 years was up so got an honorable discharge as a 1st Lt. Wouldn't give up the experience for anything!   ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 08:20:17 am »
Thanks guys,wasn't drafted and didn't join but really appreciate what you all do and what ones before you have done. :) I truly think I missed something ,but at 18 I wasn't thinking about it like I do now,by the time I realized how important it was I was to old. :)   
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2011, 01:15:41 pm »
I grew up through the Viet Nam era(born in 1950) but didn't serve in the military and probably wouldn't have. My older brother served 6months in Viet Nam around 1969 and saw combat. I am the only person he will talk his tour with even though we were on opposite sides of the debate. I understand why he went(or thought he had to go) and he understands why I didn't go and we are both good with each others decisions.  I am not ashamed or regretful for not going and I do admire, respect and am grateful for all that have served are serving now and that will serve in the future.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2011, 01:21:23 pm »
Thank you all for your service. I never served but tip my hat to you guys. Grunt. WOW. and thanks for a glimpse at what you guys can go through. Eric
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline cracker

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2011, 01:36:41 pm »
First thanks to you all for you're service it is because of you're service that the rest of us can do as we please. Secondly thanks for taking the time to give us a glimpse into what you had to endure.Ronnie
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2011, 01:54:57 pm »
I was in the Navy Seabees, 3yrs 2mo. The biggest ship that I served on was a barge tied up on a river in Viet nam. I was on it about 10 minutes, that was my total sea duty. I was in VietNam from May of 68 to May of 69, an Pat B you didn't miss nothing. Just a hell of alot of good  young men doing real dirty duty in some shithole for a bunch of good ole boy politicans. I'm gonna quit while I'm still ahead. A prayer for all the true heros that served before, during ,an after me, the ones I'm talking about paided the ultimate price, death.  Later Bob

Grunt

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2011, 07:40:20 pm »
I did a stint in the Texas Army National Guard from 1985-1995.  I signed up for 10 years.  Never got called up for combat or natural disaster... so I don't really count myself as a veteran.  Went to army boot camp, then AIT to train as a mechanic, then got assigned to a mechanized infantry unit.  Served 3 years then went to OCS for a year and became an officer (federal commisson) and trained as a combat engineer.  Resigned my commission after 4 more years of service then spent 2 years in the inactive reserve.  My 10 years was up so got an honorable discharge as a 1st Lt. Wouldn't give up the experience for anything!   ;D

You wore the uniform. If you were called you would have stepped up. You are a veteran.

Grunt

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2011, 10:42:20 am »
Funny thing about war. Most folks will ask a warrior "how was it" and when the warrior answers those same folks take a step back, and their eyes roll up in their skulls. The folks who asked never lived in a place without boundaries. Those folks are trying to be good and empathic but nothing in their life can relate to the fact that war is mans greatest obscenity. It's ok though and I don't blame them for their reaction. If I were in their shoes I would probably do the same thing. One of the warriors jobs is to protect the innocent.