Author Topic: bend in handle tillering question  (Read 2004 times)

Offline jturkey

• I wouldn't make it a habit calling me that!
bend in handle tillering question
« on: February 25, 2011, 04:17:13 pm »
never attempteed a bend in handle bow. how do you go about the tillering process is it limbs and then the handle or is it more to that i do not want the limbs to over power the handle i guess something new kind of worrys me. so let me nkow what i need to watch out for will post pictures it will be a 55" t2t osage with a little reflex already in the stave been dried for 3 yrs now with the sap wood still on but in very good condition. roughed into a pyramid style bow.
doc

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: bend in handle tillering question
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 04:34:32 pm »
Most of the leverage forces on a drawn bow are at the fades and handle area. You want to get your limbs bending then work them back into the fades and handle. When I build one I like to feel the handle give right at full draw.
  For an Eastern Woodland style bow I start with 1" thick at the handle and taper to the tips. As I tiller the limbs and get good even bending I work beck towards the fades with the bending. The limbs will taper in width and in thickness.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 05:02:56 pm »
I agree with pat. It's really easy to take off too much at the handle and instead of a bend in the handle bow you get a break in the handle bow. You should get the limbs bending and then, very carefully, take a little of the handle area and exercise very good before you take off anymore.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 05:54:09 pm »
Start with the leaving the handle about an inch and 1.5 in wide. Later you may be able to narrow the handle to 1 3/8  in wide. I always tiller handle to nocks. There are buildalongs on my site. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!