Author Topic: blow gun darts fletched with mikweed fluff, cotton & squirrel  (Read 19765 times)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: blow gun darts fletched with mikweed fluff, cotton & squirrel
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2011, 09:14:28 pm »
 That is cool. Mechslasher had one that James Parker made when we went hog hunting.

I do have some points that were made for darts. They are a lot smaller than 'bird points". I'll post some pictures tomorrow when it is light outside.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline aero86

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2011, 10:34:18 pm »
mullet.. a james parker blow gun?  im confused?

if so, is there anything he doesnt make? lol
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2011, 03:36:14 pm »
here's a pic of an interior of a blowgun.  It is not perfectly round.  This blowgun was going to crack on me if I straightened any more.   Kind of like bows in a sense.  There is the pursuit of perfection and then there is leaving well enough alone.  Slightly imperfect but workable vs. broken with the need to start over.  Sometimes you make due with appreciation.  I give away my good ones.  keep the culls.

My son demonstrating his stance.  ;D

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2011, 04:27:38 pm »
Has anyone ever tried or heard of a blow gun made from a sumac stem/branch?

It has a large pith that Native Americans would hollow out to use as a tap to collect maple sap.  I though if you could straighten a long enough section and remove the pith it might work and not have to worry as much about the nodes inside tearing up the darts as much.

I have never seen staghorn sumac get a pith all that large, but I have seen Elderberry get the appropriate size with a spongy pith.  Length might be shorter, but fewer nodes, and the fluffy pith should be a snap to remove if you are crafty.  I have heard of some blowguns being made from elderberry but personally I would craft a mouth piece for it.  I know the leaves and stems are poisonous so putting my mouth on the stem would make me a bit nervous. :P  Anyone have other thoughts or experience here?

Offline aero86

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2011, 05:34:31 pm »
dude, thats pretty awesome!  have anymore to give away?  lol
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2011, 03:23:10 pm »
Wow, excellent work!  I have 2 young boys (11 & 8) that were looking over my shoulder as I was mumbling "cooooool" so now it looks like I will have to make up 3 sets so us "kids" can all go out and play when the snow breaks.  I'll have to find a sub. for the Cane as we don't have any growing here.

Your skills with the pen/paper are equally as good, great actually!

Do you have a drawing or a demo on how you treated the squirrel tails, mounted them to the dart?  I am a falconer and my Hawk kills 40-50 of those a year for me.  Mostly the Grey Cat Squirrel like you've shown here (unless that's Fox but it looks like Cat to me) and one of the cool color phases we have here in MI is an all Black one.  Would make some really nice looking darts.  Are the Sq. tailed darts slowed than the Milkweed fluff (heavier mass possibly?)....would Cattail down )the tops) work?

Amyway, great thread and thanks for sharing.
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2011, 06:10:25 am »
Sweet,that is very cool. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2011, 04:39:13 pm »

Your skills with the pen/paper are equally as good, great actually!

Do you have a drawing or a demo on how you treated the squirrel tails, mounted them to the dart?  I am a falconer and my Hawk kills 40-50 of those a year for me.  Mostly the Grey Cat Squirrel like you've shown here (unless that's Fox but it looks like Cat to me) and one of the cool color phases we have here in MI is an all Black one.  Would make some really nice looking darts.  Are the Sq. tailed darts slowed than the Milkweed fluff (heavier mass possibly?)....would Cattail down )the tops) work?

Amyway, great thread and thanks for sharing.
Below is a sketch for how I process the squirrel tails.  It is easier to do if the tail (bones, meat etc.) is attached to the body still.  To remove the tail I pinch the tail base right in front of the skin.  With my other hand on the squirrel body I pull the body away from my pinched fingers.  The goal is to make the tail skin come off like a sock.  No rips no tears.  If using your fingers does not work you might try using a a pair of sticks and use them like your daughter's hair berets.  Van Dykes sells a tail skinner that works wonders if you do enough of them.  Sometimes a tail will tear at the vertebral joint.  This makes getting a firm grip on the tail bone tough.  Such times require vise grips or a vise.  I love modern devices.  The squirrels I have access to are grey squirrels Sciurus carolinensis and fox squirrels Sciurus niger.  I know there is a lot of variation in fox squirrels across the US in way of color and patterns.  Here in SE MO I would rather skin six greys than one fox squirrel.  Especially if I wanted the hide in nice shape.  they can be tougher and harder to skin.  But that also means the hide will hold up better.  I plan to make a squirrel row hide string some day and a fox squirrel is my resource of choice.  I am not familiar with a grey cat squirrel but local names are fun all over the US. 

If you need anything else please let me know.  I am happy to share. 

As for cattail down.   I have dinked with this for other projects and consider the fluff too short to fletch a BG dart.  I also have never heard of any native tribes using it for that purpose.  With that said I never tried it.  I would enjoy knowing that someone made it work.  Besides is gets all over as you deal with it.  Not exactly an indoor friendly product.  The other fluffs scatter too but nearly so bad. 

The milkweed dart is a lot like a cat with it fur on.  Kind fluffy.  Get em wet and you see how little cat there is under all that fur.  My point is they look bulkier than they really are.  I have not noticed any speed differences in darts based on fletch but then again I have not paid attention.   One day I will have to find a chronograph and see about that.  That inspires me!  good thinking.

best of luck and post some of those black tail darts if you craft some.  That sounds like a cool product.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2011, 08:19:14 pm »
Swampmonkey, thanks a ton for the reply and info.  I have a few full body black "grey" squirrels in the freezer, I'll see how difficult this method is with a frozen/thawed one.  I am sure the "cat" name is a local variance...they are one and the same as your Grey's.

You're art skill are killer, no doubt there!  You should find someone that needs an illustrator for a primitive skills book, you'd be a natural.

We don't have any type of River Cane or Boo locally here in MI, Any thought on what a decent substitute would be?

Again, many thanks!

Lee
~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2011, 10:09:36 pm »
Swampmonkey, thanks a ton for the reply and info.  I have a few full body black "grey" squirrels in the freezer, I'll see how difficult this method is with a frozen/thawed one.  I am sure the "cat" name is a local variance...they are one and the same as your Grey's.

You're art skill are killer, no doubt there!  You should find someone that needs an illustrator for a primitive skills book, you'd be a natural.

We don't have any type of River Cane or Boo locally here in MI, Any thought on what a decent substitute would be?

Again, many thanks!

Lee

Shucks.  you are awfully kind.  I would jump at the chance to illustrate a PS book!   Maybe someday.

As for a cane substitute:  If you have an import or decoration store that may be a source for some type of bamboo.  It might not be North American river cane but it will work pretty much the same  . . .  I think.   We have a place called Pier One and they carry a lot of exotic interior decoration items.   I have found large diameter bamboo.  Another source might be a garden center.  Bamboo stakes cane be found in some places.  It is worth a look. 

PA has a trading post. I have not used it myself but I bet skinned, black squirrel tails would be worth some bamboo!  I would not mind working out a trade once I find out how much shipping would be on a stick of cane.

It's not real Abo (aboriginal) but a short PVC pipe (longer will sag) or a copper pipe will get you started till you find some stock to work on. 

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2011, 11:41:36 pm »
I have made a couple from old 2117 aluminum arrow shafts(I had to find some use for em,lol) and made mouth pieces on the lathe. Im gonna give this a try tho, been wantin to for a long time but didnt know how til this thread, THANKS.....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2011, 04:11:55 pm »
A fellow primitive and I visited yesterday and he showed off some really cool darts crafted from locust thorns, thistle fluff and sinew.  He noted they work really well on a smaller diameter blowgun.  The cane he has access to is not terribly thick. So this option really appeals to him.  He indicated with a smile they really zip.  I will try to gin some up and post them for everyone to see. 

Offline bareshaft12

« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2011, 07:58:35 pm »
You said om southeast mo,where about? I live in scott city.I wanted to make a blow gun for awhile now.

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2011, 09:59:16 am »
very cool. your work is incredible. the squrrell tail may have me trying this again. i didnt have the patience for the milkweed fluff when i last tried. elder is usuable and is what i have here in connecticut . needs to be dried thoroughly and the bark removed to remove glycosides. to be safe i would still wrap the mouthpiece. think im gonna give this a whirl.
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct