Author Topic: foot bow  (Read 17434 times)

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
foot bow
« on: March 01, 2011, 10:03:51 pm »
i wanted to try to make a SUPER heavy bow that i would brace with my feet and pull back with both arms, what would be the best dimensions for something in the 250-300lb range at 36inches, i know this sounds big, but thats what im going for, and i feel that if i can pull 120+ regular, this shouldn't be too big of an undertaking, while tillering i might take it down to 250 tough. any  help and suggestions will be welcome ;D, including size recommendations, wood types and so on
thanks
noel
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline 0209

Re: foot bow
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 05:27:43 pm »
Well now i pose the question as to how you would hold the bow.  It aint like ya got thumbs on your feet to keep the thing from flying out of ur grasp once you release?...
But sounds cool, I'd like to see it done.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training is austere conditions with minimal food and water. He doesn't worry about what workout to do.his ruck weighs what it weighs and his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. Only he knows the cause. Still want to Quit?
-Unknown

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 07:23:43 pm »
You'd have to make it quite long to keep the string angle down, and not pinch your hands.  Either that or use a knock loop with some kind of release... although I'm not sure if commercial releases are safe to use for 250 lbs...

That would be cool to try though.  You could launch broomsticks with it that could punch through walls :)

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 08:32:44 pm »
Well now i pose the question as to how you would hold the bow.  It aint like ya got thumbs on your feet to keep the thing from flying out of ur grasp once you release?...
But sounds cool, I'd like to see it done.
You'd have to make it quite long to keep the string angle down, and not pinch your hands.  Either that or use a knock loop with some kind of release... although I'm not sure if commercial releases are safe to use for 250 lbs...

That would be cool to try though.  You could launch broomsticks with it that could punch through walls :)
what im planing on is 8ft long, and ill have straps around me feet holding it there, what im worried about are my fingers, i think i might hake a handle type of thing out of some old anchor rope i have >:D, who knows, with a regular arrow, i could hunt elephants from ym back yard, just angle high and hope the military dosnt shoot it down while crossing the ocean >:D
thanks
noel

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 09:18:10 pm »
Just curious what the point of such a contraption is ???
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 09:38:44 pm »
Just curious what the point of such a contraption is ???
it would make more sense if you knew me in person.... you see i like being REALLY excessive and i figured this would be a way to get over the whole problem of one arm holding it and one pulling, i know my legs can hold easily over 350lbs( im not trying to brag at all, im trying to help people understand), and i bet i can hold 120+ per arm the way i am thinking, so i figured, why not go for it, and when i start working ill try to show the progress and hopefully eventually a video on youtube ;D
thanks
noel

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 12:24:36 am »
Foot bows aren't all that innovative, they've been shooting competitive flight bows with feet since way back in the black and white film days. 

Guys that build bows to hunt deer in the woods scratch their heads at the nutjobs that tinker away in their garage building something that is going to blow after only 15-25 shots thru it out on the Bonneville Salt Flats.  But ultimately it's those nutjobs that really dialed in some serious data on efficiency, low drag, high speed, etc that we use today in tweeking our hunting bows for best cast and accuracy.  Two sides of the same coin.

Lemme know when you got that bow done, kid.  I got some spare cedar fenceposts I can fletch for ya.   Sounds like what you are building is the bowyers version of the Armalite .50 BMG!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 12:34:37 am »
Foot bows aren't all that innovative, they've been shooting competitive flight bows with feet since way back in the black and white film days. 

Guys that build bows to hunt deer in the woods scratch their heads at the nutjobs that tinker away in their garage building something that is going to blow after only 15-25 shots thru it out on the Bonneville Salt Flats.  But ultimately it's those nutjobs that really dialed in some serious data on efficiency, low drag, high speed, etc that we use today in tweeking our hunting bows for best cast and accuracy.  Two sides of the same coin.

Lemme know when you got that bow done, kid.  I got some spare cedar fenceposts I can fletch for ya.   Sounds like what you are building is the bowyers version of the Armalite .50 BMG!
i know its not innovative, but i defiantly fall into that nut job category, but this thing i am going to make to last ;D, and about the fence posts, if i cant get any railroad ties ill pm you ;D
this is more what i was aiming for, and those people that hunt and scratch their heads at this will want one after they realize i can hunt in Africa from my porch in RI from it >:D

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2011, 01:03:13 am »
I've been meaning to say this for a while... You're crazy man!  :P

I like you, but you're CRAAAAAZZZYYYYYYYYY (that was my Will Ferrell impression from Old School)

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2011, 01:12:53 am »
I've been meaning to say this for a while... You're crazy man!  :P

I like you, but you're CRAAAAAZZZYYYYYYYYY (that was my Will Ferrell impression from Old School)
i can't argue with that ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
noel :o

go big or go home, or if you have to, go somewhere in between :P

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2011, 09:24:36 am »
arms wont be a problem , i think you'll be using your back for most of the work. a good heavy pair of leather gloves would protect your hands from the cable youre gonna need for a string. a regular arrow wont give you the strength your gonna need to shoot off of such a heavy bow. gonna have to be at least a 5/8th shaft just so the nock fits on the string. very cool cant wait to see how you make out.
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline dmassphoto

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2011, 11:18:08 am »
Invest in a good cup too.   :o

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2011, 05:11:13 pm »
Invest in a good cup too.   :o
if that thing goes, i will want something more like a suit of armour >:D
noel

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2011, 05:12:05 pm »
what wood should i use, i am thinking mabey some type of lamination with ipe and hickory with mabey a linen backing for a little more protection. secndly, how can i string it, use a winch ???
thanks
noel

Offline Ian.

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2011, 05:30:06 pm »
You will be able to string a bow of 250 with a stringer, I would think a hickory back tapered ipe core and a hickory belly would work, I have that combination on the tiller at the minute showing 90 at 14" just got it off the long string
ALways happy to help anyone get into heavy weight archery: https://www.facebook.com/bostonwarbowsbows/