Author Topic: Question on bending wood?  (Read 2492 times)

Offline Will H

Question on bending wood?
« on: March 03, 2011, 09:52:51 pm »
    Last night I steamed the handle section on an osage stave that had a bad dogleg in it. The wood has seasoned for 3 years, I used shellac on the back and sides in the area that was steamed. I managed to get the dogleg out just fine. Next I want to put it in my reflex caul and use dry heat to get the twist out and reflex in...My question is how long should I wait before using dry heat? Im concerned that the dry heat might cause the wood to check. I've done this in the past ,minus the shellac, and waited several months to let the wood dry, but I kinda want to get this bow going while the weather is still nice... Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline Dvshunter

Re: Question on bending wood?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 10:51:52 pm »
Next time don't use steam on seasoned osage. Dry wood gets dry heat,and green wood gets steam. Next time...

This time, wait for two weeks with the stave before using the heat gun. You should be fine. I'd keep the shellac on it and don't forget the oil.
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline jwillis

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 12:02:02 am »
Thanks for the question and good simple answer. I was wondering this myself. Jim

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 08:21:38 am »
My rule of thumb is I don't steam wood [Osage] over 2 years old and don't dry heat wood less than 2.[Round numbers] That being said,after I have steamed it I will use dry heat as soon as I need to. In fact if things aren't going fast enough on the form when I steam it I keep the heat gun handy to keep it hot till I get it all clamped down. :) I have had some real problems steaming old Osage and also dry heating before it is well seasoned. I do seal it with Polly but hardly ever use oil on Osage unless I am bending some part really heavy such as the tips. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 12:08:31 pm »
pappy, I'd bet you've heated alot more than I have. :D I like to round my edges and use oil to help me from scortching any. The only time you don't use it is when I'm close to finishing and need a littke tweak and don't want to have to clean it all off.
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 12:11:41 pm »
Pappy,
does your '2 year rule' apply to white woods also?

Bevan r
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline Will H

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2011, 11:33:20 am »
Thanks for the advice y'all!!
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2011, 12:49:45 pm »
Pappy,

Bevan r

I'd be interested in know that answer as well Bevan...I did apply the wrong method to reduce the amount of prop twist on some green ERC and sure enough, a heat gun on green does indeed cause problem.  Snap, crackle, pop!

~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Gordon

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2011, 05:03:11 pm »

I steam seasoned white woods all the time with no ill effect. I've also steamed seasoned osage with no apparent problem. Though I've not done nearly as much osage as white woods - so perhaps I've just been lucky.
Gordon