Author Topic: The building process  (Read 7352 times)

Offline DEllis

Re: The building process
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2011, 05:24:41 pm »
I like the whole process(except sanding.....I HATE sanding ;)) but it's probably the first arrow that does it for me.
Darcy :)
Darcy Ellis
Fort Fraser BC Canada eh!

Offline NTD

« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2011, 05:28:24 pm »
I like the whole process(except sanding.....I HATE sanding ;)) but it's probably the first arrow that does it for me.
Darcy :)

The finsihing process used to be just a chore but now it's one of my favorite parts.  I like working through the grits and getting the wood baby butt smooth and watching the grain just pop out as you do, and laying that first coat of finish on after is pretty sweet too.  I do like most of the whole process but I still don't really like the roughing out stage.  Everything up to floor tillering is still a bore and a chore for me. 
Nate Danforth

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2011, 06:42:42 pm »
I'm with you Nathen. I enjoy the finishing work. That's where the bow gets it soul ;)
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2011, 08:53:52 pm »
    I like hunting the wood  for #1 the rest(#2) is just to hard to deside.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline jwillis

« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2011, 09:19:51 pm »
For me, it is rounding up the corners, and shaping the grip and tips. Now it looks like a piece of art instead of a block of wood. Jim

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2011, 10:59:03 pm »
It's hard to say, but I think it would be the final tillering stages.  The point where you are super close to target weight.  Your confidence starts to grow, and you start to imagine actually hunting with the bow that not too long ago was just a non bending lifeless chunk of wood. 
I also really enjoy sinew backing bows,  I have one just about to that stage and am getting excited to get going at it.
Traverse City, MI

Offline Shaun

« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2011, 11:11:32 pm »
The time I spend in the process from first sight of the tree till the fletching disappears into the sweet spot on a deer - every moment that I am totally present in this action is bliss.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2011, 09:57:27 am »
Not sure what I like best,depends on the day,some days I love serching and cutting the tree,others roughing them in and still others tillering,don't care for finish work anytime
but it has to be done. ;) :) :) I guess what I really like is the challenge,it seem to go from one problem to be solved to another,always looking for the prefect piece of wood but after 20 years ,ant found it yet. Still looking . :) Maybe one day I will find it. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2011, 12:38:55 pm »
My favorite part of bow building can happen at any time during the building process... It's the "aha!" moment when you realize you've found a solution to the obstacle the wood tried to throw at you during the bulding process...  It can happen anywhere from felling the tree to shooting that first (or 500th  :P ) arrow to wiping on that final coat of finish to anywhere in between... The whole process is about problem solving and I think I like the "aha" moments the best... Oh and also the smell of freshly cut wood  and the smell of tru oil.    ;D
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Parnell

« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2011, 12:49:37 pm »
It is from bow to bow, but I've gotta say I love the 1st brace the most.  Just feeling it shift in your hand when it goes from a stick to a bow, it feels alive even if it isn't being drawn.  That's my favorite.
1’—>1’

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2011, 08:59:07 pm »
After countless bows, I still get giddy after full draw. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline John K

« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2011, 09:07:00 pm »
I like it all...but there's nothing like the first arrow out of a new bow for me !  :)
The only way to fail is to never start !